Chapter 47

Fetmar woke up many times that night, not used to sleeping with so many people around him. It was hot and slightly uncomfortable at times, but oddly comforting. Each time he woke up, wings gently moved over him, coaxing him back to sleep. The k'nairi seemed to know when someone in their midsts was struggling to sleep and even while sleeping themselves trying to sooth them. The feeling tickled slightly, but it worked. Someone's wings lulled him back to sleep every time he was struggling but then having Eyeri and Aw'endo in his arms, safe and sleeping soundly also helped.

One time he woke up, Tai'ray was also awake. The Winglord sat by the window watching the sunrise with a solemn expression on his face. There was something almost strangely ethereal about how the leader looked at that moment with the sun's warm rays lighting his golden hair and white wings. He turned when Fetmar shifted, his light blue eyes locking on to the humans. Tai'ray smiled and for one moment Fetmar thought he could see something sad in the look.

"Morning," the Winglord nodded, his wings shivering in the wind. "Looks to be a beautiful day," he mused, looking back outside. "You should go back to sleep. You have a long day ahead of you," he murmured gently.

"So do you," Fetmar replied but didn't get up. He was warm and comfortable for the moment, also he didn't want to wake the boys curled around him. 

Tai'ray's lips twitched as he looked back at Fetmar and stood, suddenly looking far more mortal as his muscles flexed and scars appeared in the change of lighting.  "I'm used to it," he pointed out with a heavy tone in his voice. The sun still lit his hair and wings but his body and face were in shadow. A strange look passed over the man's face and he looked at Fetmar. A moment of decision crossed his face before Tai'ray gave him a look which reminded Fetmar almost painfully of Inai. "You are staying."

"I agreed to consequences that comes with," Fetmar nodded, not sure where this was going. He had never really interacted with the Winglord before this. Still, the look on his face right now reminded him of several other conversations he had with people in the early morning or occasionally dark at night.  

"The emptiness in the link is still daunting but it is reducing now. More and more of mine are returning. Or at the least taking off their seals. Trying to gain a little more time," Tai'ray admitted, kneeling down next to Fetmar though not directly over him. Tai'ray ruffled Aw'endo's wings, combing the younglings hair out of his face. 

"Are you granting it?" Fetmar asked, thinking over everything he knew about the situation at the moment. Even if the first statement was a little vague the next had a far more obvious meaning. About the caw he knew and how they felt about returning to Navat. None of the Sparrows were caw. He knew a few Pigeons and Eagles who were though. None of them were happy with it. The k'nairi caw were angry but also a little resigned, like they had known this would happen eventually.

Tai'ray shrugged, his eyes watching Aw'endo sleep. "To a degree. They will end up returning but the ones who hide will be searched for more urgently."

"Those who are not hidden can be found any time. Those who are hidden cannot," Fetmar murmured, shivering slightly. He could not help but wonder how many would be brave enough to offer such a deal, and how many would hide out of fear or pride. Tai'ray met his eyes and smiled nodding. It was the same sad look he had been looking outside with.