Chapter 40

Watching Tai'ray wipe Eyeri's face before pulling the boy close in pure view of the nobility was almost too much to Ryraso. It was almost enough to make Ryraso jump up and try something, anything but he managed to control himself. He found himself reaching out to take Dyn'ad's hand. Dyn'ad tangled their fingers together and squeezed gently, not calling attention to it.

"He will be safe," Dyn'ad whispered through the link.

"I know," Ryraso breathed as he watched Tai'ray start to speak in k'nairi.

"The name Zamen is a powerful one in many circles. Though that is not the reason that Eyeri is here tonight. His bloodkin, skilful and respected as they may be, are not who make him connected to us but rather the path he has chosen to walk. The person he chose to follow and learn under is," Tai'ray paused, looking around slowly, taking in his subjects. Every eye in the room was on him. He smiled warmly, turning to look back at Ryraso, his hand still on Eyeri's shoulder.

"Ryraso," Tai'ray called, and Ryraso forced himself to look calm.

Ryraso was lord of his med-bay and had no fear of being in the limelight when it came to something he viewed with a passion. This was slightly more unnerving. He had no real idea what the Winglord was planning, nor any of the other people in this room. He could not let them see him falter.

"My lord?" Ryraso replied, standing respectfully, Dyn'ads fingers naturally fell from his but the man's knee pressed against the back of his legs. Ryraso had to be strong but he was not alone here.

"Who is Eyeri Zamen to you?" Tai'ray asked openly.

"My apprentice. My son," Ryraso spoke without hesitation, meaning his words, few as they were. The room shifted under the weight of them, the link singing with the truth behind them. The air was tentative with this, neither approving or disapproving. Simply there.

Tai'ray closed his eyes and smirked, dipping his head in acknowledgement. "Who are you to us?" Tai'ray demanded a considerably more dangerous look in his eyes now.

The air shifted again. The eyes now on Ryraso and his answer. He could not lie nor mask his feeling on this. Not with the link focused so tentatively on him. Ryraso felt his heart beat twice and he forced himself to breathe. "To the royal triad or the k'nairi?" Ryraso asked back. He was on fragile ground here and now was not the place to say the wrong words. The Winglord had used the word 'us'. That had different connotations.

"The k'nairi," Tai'ray clarified willingly, "No one doubts what you are to me and my bonded. As much as you have fought it."

"I am Caw," Ryraso allowed to fall out of his mouth, stopping himself from making a comment about there being reasons he had fought. This was not the time to fight with the Winglord about that. Not when the Winglord was about to place burning hot iron into his son's back. And it was the Winglord, not Tai'ray.

"Who are the Caw?" Tai'ray asked.

Ryraso paused, uncertain of how best to answer that question. What the k'nairi thought of themselves and what the k'nairi thought of them were two very different things. He tried to think of an answer which would suit both middle grounds. "K'nairi who have broken the laws, or who have abandoned the k'nairi," Ryraso said slowly.