Chapter 8

I awoke in the middle of the woods. My head was throbbing and there was a sharp pain in my stomach. I pushed myself up, rubbing my head gently.

          Leaves were stuck to my shirt when I picked myself up off the ground. The sound of the trees swaying in the wind broke the silence. I moved through the woods quietly. The sharp pain hurt less and less as I walked. Leaves cracked behind me. I turned sharply to see who it was. A quick shadow ran across behind the tress. “Adam.” A voice echoed through the air. It was a haunting and chilling voice.

          I turned quickly and saw no one there. A thick wind zoomed past me. I tried to walk, but I felt a sick feeling in my stomach and it felt like my feet were glued to the ground. “Come on.” I whispered.

          My feet began to move. The sickening feeling subsided and I started walking. The haunting voice still said my name in my head.

I felt like I’ve been walking for miles. My eyes were beginning to shut. Then my heart jumped. There was an old Victorian styled house up ahead. I haven’t seen a house for miles.

          The door was carved with some weird design. “Hello?” I asked weakly, pounding on the door. “Someone, please. I need help. I’m lost and I don’t know where I’m at.”

          There was no response. I sighed. The sharp pain formed again my stomach. “Please. I need help.” I continued to pound on the door.

          I felt weak. The door creaked opened. I looked inside and saw no one there. Cautiously, I walked in.

          The walls were half wood and half paisley wallpaper. The old brown leather couch was fading its color. There were stairs going upstairs, but I stayed on the level I was on.

          A creaking noise filled the room next to me. I looked over and saw no one there. The feeling of wrong decision washed over me. The voice in my head began to get louder. I let out a shaky sigh and continued walking. The next room must’ve been a kitchen at one time. There was really nothing in it. There was just a table and a couple of chairs that were knocked over. I heard someone talking behind me. The hairs on the back of my neck stood up on end.

          “Adam. Is that you?” A voice echoed.

          I cautiously turned around. Tears instantly hit my eyes when I saw who it was. “Mom?”

          “Hi honey.” She whispered.

          I pulled her into a hug. I was just about her height. “Where’s Dad?” I asked as I pulled from the hug.

          “He couldn’t make it.”

          “Why am I here? How did I get here?” I was asking a million questions. Mom held her hand up. She sighed.

          “I only know how you got here. You are here because you are practically on your deathbed. Your time is coming to an end.”

          “How? I was only shot in the side. I can’t be dead.”

          “You’re not dead. Not yet at least.” Mom paused, looking at the ground. “The only thing keeping you alive is Melody. Melody is the piece that is keeping your hold together. You don’t want her to leave. She is saving you. If she wasn’t here with you, you’d already be gone.”

          I shook my head. “No. “No, no, no. What about Ashton? What about Chris?”

          “They aren’t in the picture. Chris hasn’t spoken to you since that fight in the hospital. Ashton is only an itty bitty piece. He’s like an extremely tiny bug. That’s all he is.”

          “This can’t all be true.”

          Mom stepped closer to me. I stepped back as tears fell down my face. “I’m sorry, baby. I know this is hard to process.”

          I let out a shaky sigh and turned away from my mother. “You can’t be her. You can’t be my mother. She died from the explosion years ago.”

          “Adam. It is me. Everything I’m telling you is true.”

          I turned back to her and showed her the scars on my arm. “Do you see these? These are from that fire that killed you and Dad.” I leaned against the wall and slid down it. “I just want to go back. Go back to Ashton and Chris. See Melody and hold her close.” I put my head in my hands. “I just want to know everything is okay.”

          Mom sighed. There was no noise than my sobs. A bright light flashed and a sudden rush of wind blew by. I looked up and saw my father “Hey son,” Dad smiled.

          I got up off the floor and looked at Dad. “Is everything Mom telling me true?”

          “Yes.” Dad sighed. “Only Chris has been worried about you, too. He hasn’t been avoiding you totally. You know him. Chris is stubborn at times.”

          I tried to take everything my parents are telling me. “So, I’m dead?”

          “No. Like your mom said, not yet.”

          “I want you to come back Dad. I want Mom back.” I looked at Mom and she let out her sweet smile.

          “We want you too. We’ve been watching you and the boys growing up.”

          “So you even saw the time I ran away to that church?”

          Dad stepped closer to me. He grabbed my arm and took me in to the other room. I felt his grip when Mom walked off.

          “Son, we saved you from that hospital bed. We are saving you from death’s door for the second time. Listen to me. It’s either you stay where you are, or, you come with your mother and me.”

          I stepped back. “I want to stay. I want to stay with Chris and Ashton. I want to know if Melody is okay.”

          Dad sighed and nodded. “Okay.”

          I watched Dad turn. “Dad, wait.”

          He turned back around. I gave him a hug, holding him for a few good moments. Tears fell down my face when I let go. Mom walked into the room. She pulled me into a hug. Mom let go of me and disappeared into the bright light. Dad was about to do the same when he sighed.

          “Hey Adam?”

          I looked up at him. “Yes?”

          “Stop dying why don’t you? Mom and I aren’t going to give you an extra life next time.”

          I nod and Dad and I chuckled. “You got it.”

          Dad disappeared off into the bright light. Everything was silent for a few moments and then everything started spinning around me. I fell to my knees and then everything seemed like it exploded.

The last thing I know of is shooting awake in the darkness of night.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry for so much dialouge. I am having major writers block with this book and this is really just a filler chapter