Chapter 5

I awoke to the soft sound of beeping. The room was completely silent other than that. My eyes weakly opened. The sound of the door opened. “Mr. Mitchell, you’re finally awake.” The doctor who just came in said with a smile.

          My brother’s and Melody came in after him. I still felt tired after all the rest I’ve had. Melody looked like she was crying.

          “What do you last remember?” Ashton asked.

          “Nothing much,” I replied. “I remember waking up in the ambulance and blacking out. That’s what I last remember.”

          I looked over at Melody. She wiped tears away. I grabbed her hand gently. “Adam, may I ask you a couple questions?”

          I nod. “Sure.”

          “How would you describe how you’ve felt over the past two weeks?”

          “Extremely tired at points, headaches, and really sore stomach pains,” I replied.

          “How would you say your headaches have been?”

          “Lingering. Migraine headaches.”

          “Have you been dealing with depression?”

          “Yes.”

          “Why?”

          “My parents are the main reason. And then school and trying to keep myself going has been getting harder.”

          “What do you mean ‘keeping myself going’?”

          I gulped down fear. I didn’t want my brothers to know.

          “I’ve been battling my suicidal thoughts.”

          The room fell silent. “Well, that’s all for now.”

          The doctor left and Chris gave me his danger glare. I let go of Melody’s hand and rubbed my face. Ashton and Melody left. That’s not a good sign. Chris turned around.

          “Why didn’t you tell me?”

          “I don’t want you to worry.”

          “Too late for that,” Chris spat.

          Chris turned around and left. Ashton came in and handed me something. I took it. It was a small cup of water.

          “It’s not much, but I hope you can manage.”

          “Thanks.”

          Ashton pulled up the chair. I drank the water, nearly choking on it. “Where’s Melody?”

          “She went home.”

          I sighed and set the cup on the table.

The doctor came in a couple hours later. Ashton and I fell asleep. The doctor woke us up. I groaned and sat up quickly. Ashton did the same, but he sat up slowly. The doctor sighed and looked at the clipboard in his hands.

          “Well, Mr. Mitchell, we ran some tests and we found out you have fibromyalgia.”

          Ashton looked at him. “What kind of medicine should he take?”

          “Well, to begin with medication, he will have to antidepressants, or also know as, savella. It’s also called milnacipran. You’ll have to take two tablets. One during the morning hours and one in the evening hours.”