Chapter 2 PRESENT DAY

The whistle blew. “Move it ladies! Come on! Let’s go!” Coach Ralph yelled.

          I got into hiking position and the whistle blew again. The tackler in front of me had me on the ground in a second.

          “Mitchell! Get your ass over here!” The coach yelled.

          I sighed and got up. I removed my helmet when I got to the coach. “Yes sir?”

          “Get your butt into gear, or I’m kicking you off the team.”

          “I’m trying.”

          “Well, you aren’t trying hard enough! Get your head into the game or you could kiss your ass off the team.”

          I nod. “Yes.”

          Coach blew his whistle. I went back to my spot and got ready for more tackling. Justin Long is my partner. He ran at me and I grabbed him, grabbing his shoulders and pushing him back. I groaned in pain and he pushed me into the ground. Justin gave me his hand. I grabbed it and he helped me up.

          Every time we did tackle runs, I always failed. I kept landing on the ground over and over again. Justin ran it in while I stayed back. My stomach was in a lot of pain and I could feel bruises forming over my stomach.

          I sighed and took off my clothes, grabbed my towel and headed over to the showers. Everyone was gone by now. I rested my head against the tile and let the water run down my face, my dog tag necklace getting wet in the process. A stray tear fell down my face, blending in with the water instantly.

After my shower, I threw the towel back on and went back to my locker to put my jeans on. I did that and looked down at where the bruises were forming. Justin walked up to me and sat down. He saw the bruises on my stomach.

          “I’m sorry.” He said.

          “It’s fine.”

          I picked up my shirt and threw it on. I put my lock on and slammed the door shut. Justin stared at me.

          “I gotta go. See you tomorrow.”

          I nod as he was leaving.

The sky was grey with overcast. Rain was slowly beginning to fall. I held out my hand to watch the rain fall. Car horns honked and people were screaming like there was no tomorrow. I shoved my hands into the pockets of my leather jacket. A cool breeze caused me to shiver.

          Then I hit someone.

          “Sorry.” I whispered.

          “Watch where you’re going punk!” And I was pulled into the alley next to us.

          He threw me to the ground and my knee scraped against the pavement. I fumbled for my blade. This guy was my worst enemy, Jeremy. He stomped on my arm with his boot and kept me where I was. I watched him take my hand out of my pocket and grabbed my blade.

          “Well, is this what you’re huntin’ for?” He chuckled and studied it. “Too bad I’m gonna have to ruin it.” Jeremy threw my blade at the brick wall and it landed on the pavement with a thud.

          “Back off.” I whispered.

          “You really think baby talk will work?” He spat on the ground next to me.

          I didn’t respond.

          Before I knew it, I was picked up by two sets of big hands. Jeremy got too close for comfort. I felt his fists go past my face. It struck me hard. I pushed myself out of the grip of the guys that where holding me. “This is the kid I know.” I ran towards Jeremy, but he had me down in a second. “But he’s still so weak.”