Chapter 7: Long Road Ahead

It had been about days since the incident at St. John's and it seemed there was more tension between the group, mainly between Kenny and Lilly. You like Kenny but you understood Lilly's anger towards him, even if it was with good intentions he was really out of line.

You guys have also had problems with those bandits that kept bothering the St. John's. Now with them dead, your group was their new target.

Kenny and Lee were out on a run back in Macon to get some more supplies out of the drug store while you found some stickers and put them on Clem's walkie-talkie. The stickers were of some stars and a smiling sun and there was one of a flower. You thought it would be funny by sticking it on the walkie-talkie with the other stickers.

Clem rolled his eyes at you when you stuck it the flower sticker on the talkie but he didn't remove it. You and Clem grew closer as days went by and Duck started to take noticed so any chance he could, he would pick on you two.

It was more noticeable when one day you three were running around and playing tag. At one point, Duck tackled you down on the concrete ground and it wasn't a good fall as you hit your head. You cried out and your mother came over to check on you. Clem was worried about you as Carley looked you over and saw a little cut on the side of your head.

She cleaned it up while Duck apologized for it. Later that night,
Duck found a bug on his pillow and freaked out about. Then he argued with Clem and accused him for putting the bug on his pillow but Clem denied it. Later when you asked him about it, Clem admitted to you that he did do that just to get back at him for hurting you. You chuckled and hugged him and thanked him for that.

Anyway, one day Lee and Kenny were coming back from their run at Macon and Clem took notice as he runs over to Lee. "You're back! (Y/N) found some stickers in a drawer and put them on my walkie-talkie." He said as he shows the talkie to Lee. "Hey, buddy. That's neat, I'll find you in a minute." Lee said to the young boy before he and Kenny goes over to Lilly's room.

Meanwhile, Carley looks at the cut on your head, making sure it was healing. "Your head still okay, sweetie?" She asked you. "Yeah...it's fine." You replied as you saw Clem and Lee talk before Lee heads to Lilly's room. "Mom?" You said. "Yeah?" She asked. "How come Daddy didn't stay?" You asked.

Carley frowns at this and asked. "Why are you asking that?" You shrug and say. "I mean...Duck has his dad and, even though he's not really his dad, Clem's got Lee and...I just wish daddy was around too." Then you look up at her and asked. "Did he not want me?"

"No! No, no....it's just....he left because....he and I were having problems and we argued alot...so...we decided to end it. It was sometime after that I found out that I was pregnant." She replied and you smile just as you hear and Lilly and Kenny arguing, loudly, again.
Carley sighs as she looks down at you.
"I'll be right back." She said as she goes over to them. "At it again, are we?" She asked the others. "Can it, Carley." Kenny said to her, annoyed.

"Don't boss people around." Lilly said, firmly. "I'm sorry but someone has to make executive decisions for the group. And I don't think you're capable..." Kenny started to say.

"Don't start with me." Lilly growls, lowly, at him. "Ken, we're all losing it, with the attacks and lack of food..." Katjaa said to Kenny, trying to calm him down. "We're strongest together. I know you think I'm on her side but there are no sides, dammit." Lee said to Kenny.

"What about the food situation? What about protection? What about when this place falls? Somebody's gotta be thinking about this shit." said Kenny.

"How has this not been working? We have everything we need!" Lilly said.

"Cuz of me, Lilly." Kenny said. "No! Because Lee knows how to take care of people! Not just things!" Lilly replied. "What about medicine?" Kenny asked.