01 | Showtime

• • •

• • •

It had begun to drizzle by the time Blair had reached her residence, fumbling through her purse once at the doorstep in order to get out of what she was sure to be a sudden downpour very soon. With a heavy sigh, she placed her key into the lock just below the door handle that she twisted shortly after to let herself in.

The scent of burnt food strangled her nostrils as she made her way into the narrow hallway, the smoke-filled fog making it strenuous to navigate through to the kitchen where a distressed Gisele stood with floral-print oven mitts as hands and a tray full of baked goods that resembled coal more than anything edible.

The culprit turned around with a vibrant smile upon her lips filled with fillers and other injections to resemble the same plump and full look that Blair had genetically secured. Then again, it was a difficult task to find a section of Gisele's face – or body, for that matter – that had not already been under a surgeon's knife. Gisele was a ball of raging fire. She was currently wearing a multi-coloured kimono with diamonds that added an extra glimmer to the ensemble, paired with some comfortable joggers that probably belonged to her daughter and a silver head band tied around her minuscule faux-dreads that were wrapped in a precise bun.

Her mocha skin and doll-like features exuding the image that she was a no-nonsense and stern mother, in love with nothing but her comfortable home and making her adopted daughter happy. When in reality, she was a free spirit that enjoyed to live every day as if it was her last and that did nothing but make Blair wish that it was her final moments on earth.

Gisele Cross was an ex-world renowned model that had graced every cover, catwalk and commercial imaginable in the States and some regions of Europe. Eventually, later on in her career, she gave up on her career and devoted her time to being a loving and committed wife to Tobias Malone, an amazing fitness instructor with a brand built on commitment and dedication. Sadly, his commitment began to fade once he grew tired of Gisele and decided to kick her to the curb in a cut-throat divorce that left her a shattered and broken woman. Gisele confessed to dark thoughts and a belief that there was truly no way out of the rut her husband had left her in but, much to her delight, there was.

That light was named Blair Noelle Nazari and it gave her the desire to grab life by the neck and demand so much more. And in her eyes, she did.

The two women stood in the traditionally decorated kitchen, with pops of colour to add a bohemian flair to the room. It had a modern aura to it – which would make sense considering it had been renovated multiple times – due to Gisele's culinary whims that would dissolve once the smoke alarm became a reminder that she needed to enhance her skills. It was the second largest room in their two-bedroom apartment, the first place title belonging to their living room on the other end of the hallway, and was Blair's favourite room to be in when Gisele wasn't.