Letting go

"No." He whispered in disbelief.

"Gregor! Get away from there, now!" Alan shouted from a nearby tree. Gregor was frozen in place, unable to move from the shock. The Night Slayer stood up slowly and dragged its feet towards Gregor, lifting its long arms and grabbing him by his torso and crushing him in a strong hold. He couldn't breathe. The Slayer stared directly at Gregors eyes that were glazed with sorrow and sadness, a stray tear made its way down his face. He felt sad, that Abe couldn't carry on with him, couldn't see his family again, couldn't even die peacefully. Gregor could faintly hear the screams of men telling him to fight back. How could he, when he knew that Abe was still somewhere in this creature that was crushing him to death. But he was gone. He couldn't even deny it now. When that blackness seeped into his blood, his soul was replaced. Abe was replaced.

Then he snapped his eyes open, red eye glowing brightly and arm growing into a Slayer's. He had to kill it. He had to set Abe free. With a final exhale he raised his left arm and gashed the Slayer's chest, using his right arm to stab the eyes with his dagger. The Slayer's grip loosened, sending Gregor to the ground where the beastly Night Slayers waited for him. The Night Slayer that was holding Gregor collapsed to the ground.

Gregor landed on his feet, in a crouching stance, he turned around and watched the beasts as the stalked around him like he was their prey. There was no way he was going to survive this he thought, not after what he saw them do to Abe.

"Gregor, fight!" Aden shouted as he jumped down from the trees followed by most of the men who drew their weapons and circled the beasts that were surrounding Gregor.

Gregor's heart tugged with pride. His eyebrows drew together in focus. Wherever he charges, the beast will still attack from behind. A swarm of arrows came down from the trees where the rest of the men were, shooting several of the beasts' eyes. This drew the attention of the beasts away from Gregor and to the men that surrounded them.

The beasts growled and Aden snarled back, before charging at them with his swords while the other men followed. Gregor used his slayer arm to attack. The beasts were large and strong, pouncing on men and ripping them apart as they passed. He watched in horror as men turned into Night Slayers, red blood dripping from bites and scratches replaced with black poison. The beasts were decreasing in number, but the Night Slayers were increasing as more men were getting bitten, and they were harder to defeat.

"Watch out!" Gregor said to one of the men as a beast approached from behind. He flung his dagger at the beast, stabbing one of its eyes, and causing it to screech in agony. The man turned around and stabbed its other eye with his sword. Gregor walked over to the Night Slayer and pulled out the dagger, wiping the blood on the Slayer. The man was shaken at Gregors perfect aim and stared at him in surprise.

Alan landed the final blow on the last Night Slayer, jumping on its back, grabbing it by the chin, pulling it backwards, and stabbing its eyes one by one.

They all stood there, panting, covered in blood, taking in the aftermath. It was a nightmare. Blood staining the grass, dead Slayers and beasts scattered everywhere, drowning in black liquid.

Gregor collapsed on his knees; he felt a sharp pain on his chest. He wrapped his arms around himself, clenched his jaw and closed his eyes at the dull ache. He grunted, and fell down, finding it difficult to hold himself up. He felt drained, physically and emotionally. He lay there, staring at the stars, face covered in blood and dirt. He stared at the sky for what felt like hours, years, blocking out the noise, blocking out the people. He just stared, until it felt like he was seeing things in the sky. He saw his father's face, his mother, Celia and Laina. He saw Abe and his Uncle Sam. It seemed like he had escaped reality for a short while. His eyes closed against his will and his world became black as he fell unconscious.