“You fucking bitch!” His mother screeches.

Levi’s mother raises her hand to smack her but Levi catches it before it can land. Squeezing her wrist his mother lets out a cry of pain, tears welling up in her brown eyes as she falls to her knees. Rose steps back so Levi can have more room but he doesn’t miss the prideful look on her face.

“Babe, can you wait outside? I need to speak to my mother for a second.”

Rose walks over and kisses his cheek. “Sure.”

He watches her swipe his mother’s cigarettes and shoot him a wink before slamming the screen door behind her. Turning his attention back to his mom he takes in her pain stricken face and sneers.

“What the fuck do you think your doing?”

“Levi, baby, I wasn’t going to do anything. I just…”

He shakes his head, “Shut up, mom.”

“Please don’t hurt me. I’m sorry.” His mom sobs.

Levi gives her a look of pure disgust before letting go of her wrist. “I’m grabbing my shit and then I’m out of here.”

“What? No! You can’t leave me! You’ll all I have!”

He rolls his eyes, “Yeah since when?”

“Since always!”

Was this the same woman who just said she regretted not aborting him? Yes, yes it was. She always did this shit. Trying to be some poor crying victim one minute and a heartless aggressor the next. He didn’t get her and he didn’t understand how this woman was his mother.

“Whatever, mom.” He says shaking off the pleading hand on his arm.

He turns his back on the woman who gave birth to him to head to his room but doesn’t make it far. Something hard and heavy hits him on the back of the head making him fall to his knees. Raising a hand to the back of his head he looks down at it to see blood.

“You’re never leaving.”

His vision gets blurry before his body goes limp.

He is dead to the world.

+

Rosemary was smoking a cigarette when the woman responsible for the existence of her boyfriend walks out of the house. Rose is sitting on a worn down picnic table in the front yard with her back towards the house but she knows it is in fact Karen Newman. Her footfalls tell Rosemary as much. The suddenly shifts and Rosemary jumps out of the way in time for the candlestick in the woman’s hand to connect with the wood of the table.

Karen lets out a growl of frustration. “You fucking bitch!”

“What are you going to do with the candlestick?” Rosemary asks curiously.

“I’m going to beat your fucking skull in!”

Rosemary’s eyebrows shoot up, “Well that’s interesting.”

“Stay away from my son!”

“No. I’m sorry that won’t be happening.”

“He’s never leaving! He belongs to me!”

A spark of worry ignites in Rosemary, “Karen, where is he?”

“In his room, asleep.”

“Asleep?”

“Yes.”

The crazes look in her eyes didn’t sooth Rosemary but the monster inside her poked her head up in her rubber bunny mask. She had promised she’d let Levi do his own thing but he’s indisposed. Should she or shouldn’t she?