THIRTEEN+

© Amber Kalkes 2014

Song------------}

THIRTEEN+

Levi pulls Rose to a stop before they reach his house. His anxiety is taking over and making him do things before he can think about them. Rose turns and looks at him curiously. He blushes feeling a bit stupid but he can’t help the fear building up in him about what his mother will do once he sees that he has a girlfriend, something she never approved of.

“What?”

“Just…promise me you’ll let me handle things myself.”

She cocks her head to the side, “What do you mean?”

“I mean, my mom’s a difficult woman and…just don’t interfere, okay? Let me handle this okay?”

“Okay.” Rose shrugs easily.

She begins walking towards the house and Levi follows behind in a daze. Will he ever get over her easy going attitude? Can someone ever get used to the lack of fear and empathy? He doesn’t know but he’ll have to try if he wants to be with her and stay sane.

The front door swings open suddenly and Levi stops walking before pulling Rose behind him. He doesn’t miss her amused smirk, like she thinks he’s being cute but ignores it. His mother is standing before him with a sneer on her face and a lit cigarette between her lips. Her black hair is tied up messily on the top of her head and her blurry brown eyes have deep circles under them. She’s dressed in cut off shorts and stained white tank top with a too deep tan across her skin.

“Where the fuck have you been?” Karen Newman asks her son with a snarl.

Levi pulls his hood from his head before shrugging, “School.”

His mother snorts, “Yeah? Then why did the school call me two hours ago saying you skipped? Huh?”

“I don’t know.” He grumbles.

“You don’t know? I bet I know what you were doing. Fooling around with some slut is what you were doing! You’re such a fucking disappointment. I should have gotten rid of you like your father wanted me to. Would have saved me the trouble.”

Levi flinches at her words but it’s not something he hasn’t heard before. Taking a deep breath he grips Rose’s hand tighter and squeezes past his mother before walking into the house. He peeks back to see his girlfriend smirking at his glaring mother with a goading glint in her eye. She wants his mom to say something, he realizes, she wants to strike back.

Well, he thinks with a sigh, she may get her wish.

“Who the fuck is this, Levi?”

He sighs praying for patience, “My girlfriend.”

His mom snorts, “Girlfriend?”

“Yes.” He snaps.

“How much are you paying her?” she cackles.

“He isn’t.” Rose informs his mother calmly.

His mom sneers, “Shut up, slut.”

Rose simply smiles serenely at her.

“What are you slow?” His mom snaps at her.

Rose shrugs, “If you’d like to think that.”

“What street corner did he pick you up from, whore?”

“Probably the same one your husband picked you up from, mam.”