Chapter 16 - Too Late

Athena Lemiere

"Are you happy? Be with Jacob?" Xander asked and I crossed my arms in front of my chest.

"I love Jacob, I'm marrying him." I said confidently even though I'm not sure inside.

"I wanna.. I wanna ask you something." He looked at me and he looks like he's hesitating to say it. He sighed and looked at me seriously.

"Why did you leave me? I mean.. not in that kinda way. I know that we're not in a relationship at that time but why did you-"

"Why is that so important now? That was 7 years ago and we have our own lives now." I said as I crossed my arms in front of my chest.

"I know but.. I just want to know what happened to us."

"There were no us, Xander. Can you go now? I have a wedding to plan and work to take care of." I said truthfully as I got up from my seat and pointing at the door.

"Are you sure?" He got up from his seat and then he sighed. He walked towards the door but he stopped right before he put his hand on the door knob.

"Athena.. are you sure? About you and Jacob?" He asked and I nodded.

"I'm so sure, so please leave us alone." I begged him and he nodded. He opened the door and then he left. I took my remote and locked the door. I turned off the light and I can't hold my tears anymore.

Why am I being so emotional again? I regreted the day when I saw him again 7 years ago at school and I regreted the day when came to his office to give him the lawsuit. It brought me back all those crazy and jittery feeling that I really hate.

Now, I can't do anything about my wedding. It was my decision to say yes when Jacob proposed and I can't back off again. I mean.. love can grow right? Love can grow as we cherish each other and be there with each other.

I wiped my tears and took a really deep breath to calm my heart down. I touched up my make up again and took a one last deep breath before going out. I walked out from my office and then my phone rang, it's Jacob.

"Hello baby." I answered it with a really happy and cheery tone.

"Hello beautiful, where are you now?" He asked.

"I'm in my office but I'm going back to Starbucks now to take care a few things, how about you? Where are you?"

"I'm on my way to your place, I miss you so much." He said and I smiled. Jacob is a really sweet person. He's kind, he's a family oriented person, he's smart and he's just the right person to be King and I will be Queen after I marry him.

We met 3 years ago through a business conference in Dubai. We both were single at that time and we talked all night long after the conference. It was fun to talk with someone like Jacob because we both know about politics, economy and country related things along with businesses.

He asked me on a date and I agree. We officially turned into boyfriend and girlfriend after 4 dates. He is a really incredible and a charming man. I like him actually quite a lot but somehow there's a hole in my heart that I can't describe.

I like Jacob a lot but at some point.. I just feel hollow.

I was confuse about myself and I tried to talk about it to mom but mom told me to find the puzzle or what cause it. For years, I couldn't find it until.. I decided to drag my ass to Redent's office.

At that point, I know that he was the hole.

He was the hole, he was the missing piece and he was the one that cause me to have a hollow feelings for Jacob. I can't believe that I still have feelings for someone who betrayed me 7 years ago.

Sometimes even I feel like it's impossible to like someone that crazy in 4 days. Me and Xander met and then the next day.. we kissed and then the next day we had a date and then we got sick and then I found out the truth. It was just 4 days of my life but it affected my 7 years being away from him.

I keep telling myself that it was stupid but now I realize it was not stupid. Love can happen that fast, sometimes we just doesn't see it coming. I understand it but now how can I deal with this feeling?

I think marrying Jacob faster will help my feelings to disappear since I know my brain and my heart will focus on Jacob only after I say 'I do'.

"Miss you too."

"I'll see you there and then let's have dinner together." He said.

"Okay." I said and then he ended the call. I pressed the lift button and when the door opens.. I saw a ticket laying on the floor. I took it and then looked at it raising my eyebrows.

"Lion King ticket?" I turned the ticket to the other side and there's a note there.

Happy birthday, Xander.
Go watch this and I bet it will you happier.
Don't push yourself too hard just to forget Athena.
If you still want her, then you should take her back

Your buddy,
Parker

It's Xander's and I'll just put it on the reception desk at the lobby. I pushed the L button and the lift door closes. I read again Parker's note on the back of the ticket and I sighed.

When I arrived at the lobby, Xander was talking to the receptionist. I walked towards him and coughed a little so he knows my presence. He turned to me and I put his ticket in front of his face.

"Thanks." He said and I nodded. I walked out from my building and walked across the street again.

"Athena.." I turned my head and saw Xander following me but at the same time. A royal car arrived right in front of me. Jacob came out from the car and smiled looking at me.

"Jacob!" I smiled and he walked to me hugging me.

"I miss you so much." He said as he kissed the top of my head.

"Miss you too." I kissed his cheek and he patted my head. My eyes landed on Xander and his face shows that he knew it was too late. He sighed and then he turned his body around back to my office direction.

"Let's have dinner, I'm starving." Jacob said and I nodded.

"Let's go."