"Stop thinking too hard. Everything will be okay." Kaiden stopped her deepening frown in its tracks with his gentle rebuke. He seemed to know exactly how she was thinking and feeling.

"I know," she answered with a smile. And she truly did, for when he slid his hand under hers and interlaced their fingers, lifting it and placing a kiss on her knuckles, she got the intense feeling that nothing would hurt her again. Especially not by him, anyway. Such a deep understanding existed between them now, a bond that nothing and no one could ever break apart. She'd give her life for him, and she knew he would do the same for her. The light and desire in his brown eyes told her that much, as he stared at her intently before averting his eyes back to the road. That special way he looked at her always made her heart flutter and race, and she loved it. She loved him.

The tingles that radiated from his warm lips as they pressed again on the back of her hand sent delightful shivers across her skin, and caused a heat to spread from her middle. If just a simple kiss could make her feel this good, she couldn't wait until they'd reached their destination and she could lean across the console and take his lips between her own. And she could only imagine what would ensue when he showed her to his bedroom and—

"Got something on your mind?" Kaiden asked with a lazy smile on his face.

The grin that spread on her own spoke what words never could. "Only you," she replied cheekily.

"You guys...." Roman groaned from the back seat and buried his head in his hands. "Just wait till you're someplace private, will you? Unless you don't mind me throwing up all over your fancy car leather." He kicked the backs of their seats.

Kaiden just winked at Chesca in acknowledgement of her thoughts. Since they'd opened up to each other a lot more, their thoughts and feelings were much clearer to each other through the mate bond. She didn't need to mindlink him to realise he was thinking much the same as her right now.

"You know, Roman, we could just let you out to walk the rest of the way," Kaiden commented casually, and Chesca suppressed a giggle.

Roman glared at her Alpha mate as much as he dared before tugging his fingers through his hair in frustration.

Dismissing her anxious Gamma from her thoughts, Chesca once more aligned her focus on her mate. Watching him drive was captivating in a strange yet beautiful way. The way his jaw clenched so perfectly, and his clear eyes scanned the vicinity for hazards—she'd never grow tired of looking at him. Kaiden was doing well, considering the amount of injuries he'd obtained from the week before. His wounds had pretty much all healed, and his skin was a much more pleasant tan colour instead of the sickly pale yellow that had clung to him like a scorned lover. His energy had returned, along with his humour and penchant for teasing her. Only a few scars remained, and her eyes wandered down to them on his chest and biceps where they peeked out from beneath his muscle tank. She now unashamedly admired her mate, and didn't even blush when he caught her staring at him, only smiled and returned his devilish grin. He was the most handsome wolf she had ever laid eyes on, and to think— he was all hers.

"That's the school I went to as a boy, before my father insisted on taking me out to learn proper Alpha duties," Kaiden motioned to a large sprawling campus of dark brick buildings.

"Looks creepy," Roman commented dryly.

"It was," Kaiden replied with a shudder and amused grin. "I can still remember the time we had to dig a tunnel out from the economics room after being stuck for a few hours. I still think it was a ghost that locked us in there."

"You serious?" Chesca's jaw dropped open.

Kaiden grinned at her, making her stomach flip flop, then tapped the side of his nose. "Of course, that ghost's name may or may not have been Benny, but my Beta will never admit to anything. ..No matter how many pranks I've pulled on him since as payback."