|49|

Finally submitted a big assignment for college so I can finally update!!
Happy chapter! and I love the song above, When You're With Me by The Afters. It's so beautiful and sweet :)

4512 words

~ Just realised how long this chapter really is!! Enjoy :)

Because it was raining, and they had packed enough luggage to last three weeks away from home, they had decided to take the car. Chesca soon wished they hadn't, when Roman asked for the third time—

"Are we there yet?"

Make that four.

"Don't make me come back there...." Chesca looked in the rear view mirror and leveled her best Alpha warning glare on Roman, but he just smirked and grinned crookedly. Hoisting his legs up on the seat beside him, he leaned against the window and tried to get comfortable. He seemed more restless than usual; and even though it was a four hour drive to Kaiden's pack, Chesca had expected him to be more docile and behave like a mature adult during the trip. Especially since he was still recovering from the battle last week. But no, he was misbehaving and twiddling his fingers, rubbing his hand down his face, making paper figurines from the notebook she gave him, demanding the music be changed every few minutes, and drawing smoochy faces in the fog on the window. It was irritating her, and she rolled her eyes for the hundredth time at his childish antics.

Something must be bothering him, but she didn't feel the right or need to pry. They'd all been through a lot recently, and wasn't this trip all about ensuring everyone was recovering and dealing with the loss and tragedies in their own way? She wouldn't press her gamma Roman any more than needed.

"Another forty minutes," Kaiden's deep voice snapped her from her reverie, and it sent a thrill of peace and excitement flashing through her simultaneously. Chesca never got tired of hearing her mate's voice. Glancing over at him, she studied the profile of his face as he drove carefully with both hands on the wheel.

The dirt road was rutted and speckled with potholes, lined with trees and curving around numerous boulders. But it soon evened out, straightened, and was covered in asphalt. The forest gave way to farmland with neat rows of various crops, which gave way to suburbia and quaint brick homes. It wasn't long then until the city came into view and skyscrapers reached up like a crown's peaks towards the clouds. She really hadn't noticed any of what Kaiden's territory looked like when she'd been dragged, shot and bleeding, by Elbert's merciless guards towards his pack house. Now, she took it all in with wide eyes. It truly was large, and the buildings that made up the central districts were unlike the simple ones her pack preferred to live in. These ones reflected the streets from numerous glass windows and multiple stories that dwarfed even her large pack castle. Little trees tried to grow between the concrete sidewalks and store fronts, and Chesca knew she'd miss the open countryside of her territory if she and Kaiden chose to move here permanently. Nothing had been decided yet, but it was going to be hard running both packs from either hers or his place.

Reaching across the centre console, she laid a hand on Kaiden's thigh and squeezed in anticipation. She was soon going to formally meet a majority of his pack members, and be introduced as his Alpha Female. A twinge of nervousness spiked in her chest. Would they accept her? Would she be able to help them recover and piece back together their fractured society following Elbert's insidious betrayal?

A part of her also worried for Kaiden. Would his pack respect him and extend forgiveness? Perhaps they still harboured resentment for the way he deserted them instead of standing up and fighting for them against his father.

But he had been running for his life. His father was a monster when it came down to it, as proven by the fact Elbert had almost killed her. Who knows what would've happened if—