Chapter 1

Chapter 1

May

Even with the shouts of drunken teenagers surrounding us, and hard rock music blasted through every stereo in the house, I couldn’t help but feel that we were the only people in the world. The Halloween party, hosted by parents of our school, was supposed to be held to “honor” the accomplishments of this class, had turned into an average high school party that we have all attended before. As a designated driver, I myself wasn’t allowed to have even one drink. I was okay with that though, because I had Alex and I couldn’t think of any drug the world that could make me happier than the boy with his arms wrapped tightly around my blue party dress. I turned my head which was gently rested on his shoulder into the crook of his neck. We danced, but not to the music. All of this year’s soon-to-be graduates ran and drank and danced and made decisions most of them would later regret. Alex and I, we stood in the center of it all, just enjoying the hold both of us had on the other. “Alex?” I whispered softly into his neck.

“What is it, love?” he asked with his chin resting on the top of my head.

“I love you.” I said.

“I know. I love you, too.” His arms tightened around my waist. I tugged on his loosely buttoned shirt until his eyes were at the same level as mine. He moved his hands from my waist up onto either side of my face. I gently nudged my face into his hands. I stared into the deep blue pools that were his eyes. I was almost hopelessly lost, never to return, when his deep, sultry voice pulled me out of my hypnotic state. “I think it’s time that I get you home.”

“But, I’m a driver. I have to take my friends home.” I replied, only half-heartedly.

“I’m sure they can find another ride. Besides, look at yourself. You are in no condition to be driving anyone home.” I had stuck to my promise and I hadn’t had anything to drink that night but I was impossibly tired, almost to the extent that I was falling asleep on Alex’s shoulder.

“Okay.” I agreed sleepily.

We climbed into Alex’s cherry red pickup truck. As he turned the key in the ignition, I laid my head on his shoulder and scooted up against him. I kept my eyes ahead the whole ride to my house. I watched the buildings of the town and the light of the street shoot by in a flash. But after a while I watched the buildings diminish and the trees and fields grow numerous. The dark tendrils of the October trees stretched towards the car. But, gripped onto Alex’s arm, I knew that I was safe from any danger that might stand in front of us. The night was cold and as we neared ever winding road to my Vermont log cabin, a few snowflakes dropped onto the windshield. I closed my eyes and let myself slip into unconsciousness.

I felt cold hands on my back and legs when I groggily opened my eyes to stare up at Alex’s face. I reached my arms up and locked my fingers around his neck so that he was carrying me bridle style up the front steps to my home. I took that perfect moment, when my whole weight was in his arms and the world stopped spinning just for us, to study his angelic face. I kept having to pull myself away from his eyes that had the power to turn you to stone if you looked into them. I felt his soft dark hair with my fingers that I had locked around his neck. I traced my fingers down his jawline. I laughed at myself. There wasn’t a more perfect person on the Earth, of that I was sure.

Alex carried me into my bedroom and laid me down onto the familiar chevron comforter.

“I don’t want you to go.” I said softly.

“May, you now I can’t stay. I have to—“ I shushed him with my finger. I sat up on my elbows, so my face was a mere inch from his.

“I don’t wanna hear why you can’t. I just want you to stay.” I said. He pressed his soft lips against mine and no matter how annoyed I was that he was making excuses, his kiss never failed to shoot off fireworks inside of me. It was over too soon though. As always.

“I’m sorry, Love. You know I wish I could.” I just closed my eyes. I heard him sigh. “I’m sorry, May.” I opened my eyes to argue, to tell him I knew he wasn’t sorry, but he was already up and out of the room. His footsteps creaked against the old hardwood floors. They creaks and groans of the floor stopped shortly outside the front door. I thought for a short minute that maybe Alex had changed his mind, maybe he would stay. But then the door creaked open and slammed shut. I dropped my head back on my pillow and despite my overwhelming tiredness, I didn’t sleep. I felt utterly alone in the big, dark house.

I stared at the weak, blue light from my alarm clock for what seemed like hours. But eventually my eyelids grew heavy and I couldn’t force myself awake any longer. I let my eyelids close and my head roll to the side.

That night I dreamed of Alex. I dreamed of a place where we could stay together for all time and neither one of us would ever have to go or ever want to. I am in love with him. He tells me that he is in love with me, too, but, in the back of my mind, I am starting to doubt him.

*** Hey my loyal readers! I didnt like how my other draft was turning out the plot is a little different, though. Keep reading. And comment what you think so far! XOXO -Alana