CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO - PREPARED

Start from the beginning

"Plus you didn't even bring coffee. Why are we friends again?" she asked, as I walked towards the kitchen.

"I'll make coffee from here. I was running, I couldn't bring coffee," I told her in a matter-of-factly tone, and passed the living room where Al's brother, was half-sleeping, "Hi Adam," I simply said, and he mumbled something I couldn't quite hear in return. "Why is he still here?" I asked in a whisper.

"He claims he needs time to get back on life's tracks," she explained, rolling her eyes. "He's been saying the same damn thing for weeks now."

"I know. Are you planning on kicking him out?"

"He's my brother, I can't do that," she sighed heavily, letting herself fall on the chair lazily. "Anyway, back to you. What are you doing here so early?" Al asked me, looking at my hands making coffee with her sleepy eyes.

"I just wanted to stop by and say hi," I shrugged, and she gave me a pointed look, knowing it wasn't the only reason. "That, and because I kinda need to tell you something," I added, which drew her attention.

"Did you—," she looked at her surroundings to make sure we were still alone in the kitchen, and lowered her voice, "did you see something?"

I took both cups of coffee, and joined her at the kitchen table. I sat across from her, and wrapped my hands around the hot mug. I looked down at it for a few seconds, trying to cautiously choose my words, "I did... when Michael called on Thursday."

"He called you on Thursday and you didn't even tell me?" she practically yelled, and I motioned her to keep her voice low because Adam wasn't far. "Why didn't you tell me? What did he say?" she hissed, as she leaned closer to me.

"He wanted to apologize for the way he hung up on me," I smiled, shaking my head. "I thought I was the one who acted weird during the entire conversation, but still he was the one who called to apologize for being distracted."

"How did he hang up? Is this the only reason why he called?" Alice frowned some more. She was confused by all of this, I could tell. Her body language never lied.

"He just cut the conversation short, but turned out he did because he had some beat in his head that he needed to record," I explained, before I took a sip of the hot coffee.

"That's all? Well I understand why you didn't tell me, there's noting exciting about this phone call," she snickered before drinking from her cup as well.

"Even the part where he asks me to come over his house?"

When I said that, Alice choked on her coffee as her eyes widened. She coughed loudly, putting her hand over her mouth, and she looked at me as if she saw a ghost behind me, "Excuse me, WHAT?" she shouted, and I put a finger over my mouth to tell her to keep the volume low. "What did you just say?" she hissed once again before coughing again. "You gotta be fucking kidding me."

"We knew this would happen, and apparently it's going to happen today," I gulped at the thought, as Alice looked at me with her mouth agape, and the same shocked look on her face. "Oh," I added, realizing what I just said, "I forgot to mention it was today."

"You're going to Neverland to—YOU'RE GOING TO N—"

"Al, shut up," I hissed as I put my hand over her mouth to close her big fat mouth. "This has to be a secret, okay?"

"Sorry," she mumbled against my hand, and I put it away. "Girl! I—wow, this is really happening."

"You still had doubts about what I told you?"

"Not... doubts. I guess I'm still coping with it, though?" she said, but it came out as a question. "I don't know. I mean, a few weeks ago I thought—I thought that seeing the future was something fictional. I'm trying to wrap my mind around this, I—I don't understand how it's even possible."