'Boudiccathe wife of Prasutagus, king of the Iceni?'

'Aye, the same.'

'What means her presence here, then?' Justus turned his body sideways to squeeze through a doorway.

The other man shrugged. 'I know not. 'Tis none of my concern. We' he paused to grab the ring of keys on his belt— 'have more important business.'

'Like what?'

'Like what?' The man threw his head back and laughed. 'What dost thou think? Her daughters are here. General Aquinas wants them murderedbut he did not forbid us to have some fun first.'

Justus stared for a moment before he understood. A burning wave of shame swept over him and he laughed awkwardly. He knew not how else to respond without being ridiculed.

As they entered the cell, the centurion turned to him. 'Well, which one dost thou prefer?'

Justus blinked in the gloom. Two girls, one no more than a child, stared at them, terror in their eyes. 'The older one.' The words were out of his mouth before he realized it.

His companion grunted and stepped forward, taking up the little girl and swinging her over his shoulder. Her frightened screams tore through the air as he carried her off, but he paid no mind.

Justus gawked at the girl in front of him, his ears still ringing with her sister's shrieks. This was wrong.

His mouth was dry, and he was none too confident with the Celtic tongue, but he doubted the girl could understand Latin. 'Dewch yma,' he said softly.

She stared back, a whimper escaping her lips.

Justus ran his fingers through his hair in frustration and switched to his mother tongue. 'I want to help thee.'

The girl only blinked in confusion.

Taking the time to explain himself would be useless. If he did not leave soon, someone else would come to claim her.

Stepping forward, he tore a strip from his tunic and tied it over her mouth to muffle her screams. Then he threw his cloak around her and swung her over his shoulder, leaving the filthy cell.

Once out of the dungeons, he made his way to the back entrance of the fort. When the sentry's back was turned, he slipped through the small postern gate. Then he broke into a run, slinking through the deserted streets and never stopping until he reached the fields beyond the town, where he set down his burden and undid the gag around her mouth.

Now in the light, he could see the pale beauty that had been obscured by prison gloom. Tawny braids fell to her waist, and the white sun glistened in her green-gold eyes, which shimmered like glowing bronze. A crystal tear slipped down her freckled face. She clenched her hands at her sides, fear and anger burning in her glance.

'Do not be afraid; I will not hurt thee.' He shook his head, remembering. 'Thou dost not understand what I say.'

'I know the tongue,' came the soft, halting reply. Her voice was like a stream over stones, smooth and icy cold. 'Why wouldst thou rescue me?'

'BecauseI... Because to do any less would be wrong.'

'What is thy name?'