Chapter 19 - "I believe this next dance belongs to me."

Start from the beginning

In his arms, she forgot to think and let herself be swept away. Thayer didn't talk, his eyes fixed on her as if he was struck by the same feelings. They twirled like two snowflakes lifted by the wind and spinning around each other, caught up in something bigger than themselves. 

"Your tutors taught you well," Thayer said, his voice quiet.

Gigi gave him a taunting smile. "I might have learned the royal dances from them but do not think the Eldin do not know how to dance."

He raised his eyebrows, half in surprise and half in curiosity.

"It is the main way we celebrate," she explained. "When we dance we are in tune with the rhythm of the earth and moving with the beat of our hearts. We dance because we are happy."

Something darted through Thayer's expression too quick for Gigi to read it.

"I believe I have never danced like that," he said. 

Gigi's face fell into something serious. "I hope you get the chance to one day."

Thayer paused. "As do I."

They spent the rest of the song in silence, thoughts overlapping though they voiced none of them. At the end, they took a step apart, both unsure how to move forward. Their answer came in the form of a wide smiling Earl. He bowed to Thayer and shifted to Gigi.

"May I have this next dance, Lady?" he asked.

Gigi looked once more at Thayer and he met her gaze. She felt as if something had changed but didn't understand what.

"Of course," she said, smiling back at the dark haired man.

The Earl stepped forward as Thayer left. He wrapped his arm around her, pulling her closer than she liked. As they began to dance, Gigi instantly found herself missing the smooth, elegant way Thayer danced. She worked to smile through it as well as his talking. When it was done she was overly grateful to her next partner, though her gratitude did not last long.

From one set of arms to the next, Gigi spun away, always wishing for the set of arms that were not around her. The eighth song came to a close as Gigi planned a way to escape her next partner.

Her thoughts were banished when a familiar set of gray eyes met hers. Her heart faltered and her stomach flipped at his approach. His ever-present teasing gleam seemed to kidnap all of her. Raif bowed.

"Lady Genevieve," he said. "I believe this next dance belongs to me."

"I believe it does, Duke Sayers."

The Squire that held her hand, frowned, obviously annoyed that her attention was so easily taken away. Raif gave the man a single glance that sent him turning away. He took a step closer to Gigi.

"I seem to be making a habit of saving you from insufferable fools," he said, quietly.

"It is a habit I shall encourage."

He laughed and like that she was pulled into his strong, capable arms. She felt every sense heightened, the feel of his hand on her waist, the power of his hold, the heat from his closeness. She longed for the feeling to go on and on, carrying her away from everything. The world blurred to nothing but him and the melody that held them captured.

The song came to a close and before Gigi could right her thoughts, Raif was sweeping her away, her hand caught in his elbow. They left the ballroom and walked out onto the terrace. The sea breeze stirred Gigi's hair and cooled her hot skin. The velvet night sky stretched overhead, filled with an ocean of stars. The air held a scent of rain and off in the distance a line of dark clouds was steadily moving towards them.