Chapter 18 - "Very well, mother if you wish it."

Start from the beginning

"My Queen, it is enchanting," she looked at Ashlyn watching as an appreciative smile appeared. "What you have created is something I do not have adequate words to describe."

"With that response, dear, you have given me a more favorable response than I could have hoped for. Now, I have just eaten away at your ear with my talk, let us have tea and you can have the same opportunity to repay me."

Gigi couldn't help the laugh that bubbled out. The easy manner of the Queen contradicted all the interactions she had held with her son. Ashlyn brightened at the sound. They walked back to the palace, Gigi offering more compliments as they passed by some of her favorite spots or saw her favorite flowers.

Near the west terrace, a table had been sent out with a pale green umbrella shading it. On a side cart were cakes, biscuits and two pots of tea. The moment they settled into their seats, Gigi knew why the Queen had chosen this spot. Besides the view of the maze of trees, there was a breeze that rounded the palace and muted the sun's heat. A maid served them and Gigi took a sip of tea, the taste light and fruity.

"Tell me," the Queen said. "How do you find your time at Court treating you? I know this is your first festival and truly your first appearance in society."

"It is, my Queen." Gigi found herself trying to form words to add. A tumble of memories rolled through her mind, all varying in their enjoyment and interest. The Queen watched her, as if seeing the images that clouded her head.

"To be honest, my Queen, it is more than I thought it would be and different in the same instance."

The Queen set down her cup. "I imagine it would be so. This world is far different than what common people experience. For some it is all they want, for others it is a burden. Which is it for you?"

Gigi was taken aback by the seriousness of the question and the weight of it.

"I could not say, my Queen," she said.

Smiling, The Queen waved her hand. "It is a small question. Now my dear I want to know about you."

The tapping of boots on the stone terrace gave Gigi a break to think of what she would even say to the Queen. But all thoughts flew from her mind when she saw Thayer descending the stairs. He looked over, his eyes settling on his mother. It was only when he was at the table and couldn't retreat unseen, that he noticed Gigi.

"Thayer," the Queen said, her voice welcoming. "You are just in time. Lady Genevieve was about to tell me of her life, join us."

Thayer tensed, his face struggling to remain unconcerned.

"I merely wanted to inquire something of you mother," he said.

"Do you need to rush off to some where?"

He hesitated. "No, but there are always tasks that need my attention."

"And they will need your attention just the same in an hour. Sit and have some tea."

"Truly, mother my time is better spent with-"

"Thayer do not be a cod." Gigi had to suppress her shock and amusement as the Queens's insult while Thayer tensed even more. "Come sit. You work far too much and barely take a moment to enjoy yourself. An hour will not make the kingdom fall to ruin, but it might keep you from falling to ruins."

Glancing at Thayer, she saw the resistance to his mother's invitation. She didn't blame him, they hadn't spoken since she had argued with him and there was still tension between them.

"Very well, mother, if you wish it," he said.

"I do. I do not wish to see my son turning old before his twentieth year."