Twenty three

Carter P.O.V.

"Sup," I gave Alec a nod as he hopped into my car so we could hit up the gym together this morning.

"Hey how's it going?" he said before reaching over to chuck his bag onto the back seat.

I pulled away from the curb and began the drive, rolling the windows down to feel the breeze flow through my jeep. "Yeah not too bad thanks, you?"

"Awesome, my album should hopefully be finished soon," he let out a sigh of relief, leaning back in his seat.

"That's sick dude, can't wait to hear it."

"Thanks! You guys will be the first," he grinned.

We rolled up to the gym and grabbed our bags out of the car, locking it behind us as we strode in to start our sweat sesh. I did glutes and legs last time, cardio and core the other day, so today I'm focussing on chest and arms. I headed over to the weight racks, placing a towel down on the bench and set up my plates before Alec came over to spot me.

"Hey Alec... Val's birthday is coming up in like two/threeish weeks," I said as I laid down on the bench and gripped the cool steel of the bar before lifting it out of its hold. "Do you have any songs on the new album I could use for something I'm planning to make for her?" I brought the bar down close to my chest and up again, releasing a breath of air.

"Like something romantic?" he asked me, as he stood at the head of the bench, watching me do the chest presses with his arms out just in case.

"Yeah something a little slow but with a sick beat." I grunted as I lifted my last few reps, before resting it back on the rack with a clang.

"Hmm, yeah definitely will be something you could use," he nodded in thought as I got up from the bench and grabbed my towel.

"Thanks! You're the best." I gave him a bro handshake as he went to take my place for his set, adjusting the weights as he went.

"No problem. You're a little whipped huh?" he said slyly, looking up to give me a crooked smile from his position on the bench.

I took a swig from my water bottle and brushed a hand through my hair. "Yeah, I'm a goner." I laughed sheepishly.

He shook his head and chuckled at me before lifting the bar off. "She's cool. Good to see ya all happy and in lurve and shit," he teased.

I couldn't wipe the stupid grin off my face, every time I spoke or thought about Valerie. She does make me so happy, spending time with her was the best, I craved her.

I wanted to plan a small birthday surprise for Valerie after hearing that she didn't do much when she had her 21st last year. She kept it low-key and only went out to dinner with Ell and her family, and apparently Ell also dragged her out to go clubbing a couple of weeks after to make her experience something new. When I asked her about it, she immediately brushed over the topic, and I chose not to probe any further in fear of her closing up. It confused me a little because the Val I had seen at parties was often enjoying herself and having fun. It didn't seem like she'd be the type to just do something small and nothing else for such a huge milestone. She was a walking contradiction. Shy but fun, flirty but innocent, smart but naïve, beautiful but modest, talented but humble, sweet but feisty. I couldn't get enough.

~

I was on my desktop computer reading through a few emails before my cell went off as my manager's named flashed across the screen.

"Hey Trev," I answered casually. "What's up?"

"Hey, have you seen any of the gossip and news articles of you lately?" he asked me curiously, with a little concern lacing his tone.