"Forward"

I didn't know much about why my parents fell in love but I knew they stayed together longer than they needed to because of me. Although my mama had told me how they met and began their relationship, she failed to tell me why she fell in love with him. There had to be more than just physical attraction to keep them together for the first few years of their relationship prior to her getting pregnant. When my dad told me he'd ended things with his yoga instructor girlfriend so that he could get back with my mama, I finally felt like I deserved an explanation for why they fell in love. If they wanted me to support a reunion, they owed me an explanation.

            "I thought you were going to paint the walls a different color?" dad asked me as he followed me into my kitchen.

            "Oh no, Ezra," I said while shaking my head. "You do not get to say you wanna get back with mama and then try to change the subject."

            He laughed and asked, "Ezra? Uh-oh, you only call me and your mother by our first names when you're disappointed in us."

Dad

Dad

            "Dad, I'm not disappointed. I'm just...confused. Why now? You two have been separated since I was nineteen. It took you nearly ten years to figure out that divorcing was a mistake?"

            "The divorce wasn't a mistake. Your mom and I needed a divorce given the time and space we were in. Now, it feels like things are different."

            "Okay, it may feel that way to you but to me, it feels random and weird. I've been around both of you since you separated and you have both grown so much."

            "And that's the cause, Elijah. We have grown and become different people since the divorce. When I talked to your mother over the phone recently, I immediately noticed that she was different."

            "Yeah, because she's been sleeping with men around my age. Of course, that would make her seem different. The same goes for you and Sierra."

            "Your mother has been sleeping with men around your age?"

            "Dad, that's not the point. The point is you two realized it was wrong to stay together and you ended it. Why backtrack after all this time? It doesn't seem right."

            "Maybe for you it doesn't. Son, I never stopped loving your mother. I don't think I could ever stop loving her. The biggest problems for us seem so small now and that's because we're in a different time."

            "I'm a firm believer in time healing old wounds but there is a limit. I just can't see how you and mama getting back together could end up being a good thing. I guess that's because I never really understood your relationship." I stepped over to my refrigerator and grabbed two bottles of Bud Light for us. I handed him one before asking, "Why did you two decide to get serious in the first place?"