"Matrimony"

Watching Theo's parents renew their wedding vows for their thirty-fifth anniversary brought tears to my eyes. I'd never seen a couple that in love before and it was so beautiful to witness. I was sitting beside Theo the entire time and he seemed to be in awe just like I was. George, Sr. and Joyce were slightly older than my parents but like my parents, they looked younger than their actual ages. I was quickly reminded of what I'd always wanted. I wanted what Theo's parents had. I wanted to grow old with the one person put on this earth for me. I wanted the shared longevity and everything that came with it. Was that too much to ask?

            "May I have everyone's attention, please?" asked the announcer as the reception was starting. "Mr. and Mrs. McMillan will now begin their renewed first dance as husband and wife."

            Everyone stood up and watched as Theo's parents walked out onto the area designated as the dance floor. The DJ began playing Eric Benét's "I'll Be There" and Theo's parents began dancing. I loved Eric Benét's entire catalog; so naturally, I felt something. When the announcer asked us to join in on the dance, I grabbed Theo's hand without hesitation. I was expecting him to do something to mess up my groove, but he surprised me as we danced like two friends.

            "You still love Eric Benét, don't you?" he asked with a smile.

            "I sure do," I replied. "This song is one of my favorites."

            "It's my mama's favorite right behind the one with Tamia in it; 'Spend My Life with You.' That's her jam for real. I'm surprised they're not playing that one." He moved closer to me and put his hands on my lower back but not in a weird way as he asked, "Which hotel are you staying at?"

            "The Embassy."

            "You know, you could've stayed at my parents' house with me. I'm gonna be the only one there tonight since they're leaving for Jamaica for their second honeymoon after this reception. I have that big house to myself."

            "I'm sure it's not a problem for you. You grew up in that house."

            "I did but it's gonna be lonely there tonight by myself. My brothers and sisters are all going home to their houses after the wedding."

            "Hook up with someone on Jack'd or Grindr tonight."

            "Wow, you think I'm gonna disrespect my parents' home like that?"

            "Theo..."

            "If you don't wanna stay there then at least stop by to hang out with me tonight. We can watch a movie or have some drinks. My dad has some of the best rum, whiskey, brandy...he's got a nice collection in his bar."

            "I know that, Theo. I've seen it."

            "So, are you gonna come by or nah?"

            "I'll think about it."

            "Eli..."

            "I will think about it. If I'm tired, I'm just gonna go to sleep. The bed in my suite is amazingly comfy."

            "Probably not as comfortable as my old bed. I've had that king-sized bed since I was a teenager."

            "Yep, and you probably had girls and boys all up in it back in high school, huh?"

            He laughed as he told me, "I've never had sex in my parents' house before. I was always afraid that I would get caught by either a sibling or my parents. As a matter of fact, I wasn't that sexually active as a teen."