Ch. 34 Attack

Nikhil pulled away, leaving Melisande panting harshly as Akhil rolled off her. They had all tired themselves out and now Melisande was ready to sleep, even if the sky was just starting to lighten. The twins cuddled her from both sides, kissing her softly before kissing each other. She bit her lip and squirmed, if they kept doing that they'd never get any sleep. They parted and smiled at her knowingly. Fuck.

Akhil kissed down Nikhil's neck and Melisande decided that one more round wouldn't kill her and if it did, what a good way to go. Nikhil pulled her to him, kissing her again as his twin sucked on one of the marks on his neck.

They would have continued if Melisande didn't hear the loud sounds from the hall. They pulled away from each other and Melisande scampered out of the bed to throw her door open. Wolves were rushing down the stairs, skipping the elevator. Melisande raised a brow and grabbed a female who was dressing while rushing down the hall.

"What's going on?" The female blinked at her, as if Melisande should already know.

"There was an attack on the East border." Melisande perked up, letting the female go as she rushed back in her room and threw on a light sundress. Her mates were already pulling on sweat pants, having heard the female. Melisande briefly wondered why she didn't hear anything through the pack link like everyone else seemed to.

She left her room just as Salem stormed out his room, his hair a mess and his pajama bottoms twisted.

"Where is your brother?" He bit out. Obviously someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed. She would have snickered if Salem didn't look so angry.

"Hmm, seems they were trying to keep us out of the loop." She gripped Salem's slim wrist and dragged him along with her and her mates. "Apparently there was an attack on the East border." Salem stopped grumbling under his breath and started walking faster. Downstairs wolves were taking the pups into the basement. It was just a precaution, there was no way in hell an enemy would make it to the pack house alive.

Melisande and Salem made eye contact before taking off.

"Keep up, boys." She said through her mind link with the twins. They did as she said and stayed on their heels.

They'd found out last night that Miguel's home had been attacked. The fifty people who lived with him had been killed. Children included. The only reason he survived was because he was in the woods fucking some shifter. He said by the time he returned, it was too late to do anything. Melisande personally didn't want to believe him and now with someone trying to infiltrate their land. The male wasn't telling the truth.

"Go back and make sure Miguel doesn't leave."  She ordered her Mates.

"We're not,"

"Leaving you."

Melisande spun around, making Akhil fall on his ass.

"Go." She growled. The twins nodded and took off back to the house. Salem raised a brow, his pale eyes glowing in the dim light of dawn.

When they made it to the others, the warriors were surrounding something and the scent of blood was strong in the air. Melisande went to push through but they instantly noticed Salem and moved aside. She could feel it too, the power radiating off him. It was the same as an Alphas, almost stronger than Azrael's. Whatever he is, he's strong.

Her parents stood with Azrael who was crouched in front of a dead wolf. They called an attack over one wolf? The tree line ended and a field stretched across, a natural indicator of where their border ends. Azrael stood and spun around, narrowing his eyes at Salem who ignored him completely.

Apparently the little male didn't like waking up alone.

Melisande walked around them, looking down at the gray wolf. It wasn't one of theirs, the scent was that of a rogue but worse. It smelled like death, not how a recently killed wolf should smell.

Melisande jumped when the wolf twitched. It was common in something recently killed for the muscles to spasm but it still creeped her out. Melisande turned her back to the wolf and turned to her parents.

"How come no one told us about what was going on?" She whispered it angrily so only they could hear. Azrael ignored her, his eyes following Salem who was looking at the wolf.

"Because you would have caused more harm than good. Salem doesn't have a mind link and you don't know how to fight in a team." Her mother bit out. Melisande's fist balled at her sides but for once, she chose not to respond. Can't work in a team? She works perfectly fine with Salem. She'll prove them wrong.

Melisande's father shouted out as something big sent Melisande falling forward. She spun under the weight and looked into blank black eyes and very sharp teeth. Her claws dug into its ruff to keep it's snapping jaws back but couldn't do anything about the claws that dug into her stomach. There was a loud crack and the wolf yelped before slumping over her. Salem pulled the wolf off her and dragged it away. Melisande was scooting back clumsily as her mother tried to get a look at her wounds.

Melisande's eyes stayed on Salem who took a knife from a warriors belt and tore through the wolf from chest to stomach. Everyone watched in shocked silence as something like black smoke seeped from inside the wolf. Its body seemed to deflate and sink into itself. That black smoke lifted but then seemed to take shape.

Azrael ran towards Salem but was thrown back by a cloud of smoke. Warriors were pulling Azrael away as his back arched off the ground and he gasped for air. Melisande watched in shock as the smoke took the shape of a human, she couldn't decipher if it was a man or woman. The figure glided towards Salem whose eyes were glowing like they had when he first woke up after Azrael marked him.

Darkness pulled around them, making it impossible for anyone to see. Azrael was shouting and being held back by warriors and their father. Her mother was pressing down on the wound in her stomach but she couldn't feel it, all she could do was watch as the darkness around them cleared until they could see Salem standing there again.

The light in Salem's eyes dimmed and then it was like he was sucked into a black vortex. No one had time to panic in the seconds that Salem appeared in front of Azrael. Azrael was gripping Salem's face as the little male did the same to her brother, both seeming to check each other for any injuries.

There was no way they could hide this from the pack now.