Heart Beat

(Reader as narrator)

I rang the doorbell once, and suddenly saw Mrs. Park standing at the door. She looked happy to see me. She offered me to go inside, but I told her I just needed to give Chaeyoung something. She didn't question what I wanted to give her, thankfully. Chaeyoung forgot her blazer in the backseat of my car, and I didn't want her to think she lost it. "I'll go get her." She said as she closed the door, but not all the way. I could still see light peeking through, perhaps from the living room. I'm surprised she didn't yell at the top of her lungs the way my family does. It's probably less overwhelming like that, right? All of a sudden Chaeyoung opened the door. She was still wearing the clothes she wore to school, the only thing missing were her shoes, and the blazer I had in my hand. For a second I forgot why I was there, but then realized I was still holding what I went there for. "Oh right, here. You forgot this in my car." I handed the blazer to her. She looked shocked, and took the blazer. Her finger slightly grazed my hand and it sent a tiny shiver down my spine. "Oh my gosh, thank you so much. I knew I was missing something when I got home. Thank you (Y/N)." She bowed her head. It's cute as to how respectful she is. I've never met a family that bowed their heads before. This family was different. Special. I liked them a lot. I wonder if they knew that. Chaeyoung, took a few steps outside, and shut the door behind her. "I wanted to thank you." She said, holding her blazer to her chest. "Hey, don't worry about it. I was taking my gym bag from the backseat and happen to notice it-" I would've kept going but she stopped me, "No, no silly. Not for the blazer. For today. For making me feel welcomed at school. You made me feel less nervous. I appreciate that a lot. So, thank you." My heart felt warm. What was this feeling? Why were her words making me feel this way? My heart was pounding. I bet she could see my heart beat through my shirt. Oh god. What is this?

I snapped out of whatever trance I was in, because she looked like she was gonna say something. Her head faced the ground as she said "I'm sorry I canceled on the diner thing today. You probably wanted to go." I could tell she felt bad about it, but honestly it didn't matter to me. I was a little relieved she didn't want to go. I was too tired. I hadn't been sleeping well. I've been staying up studying a language with words I can barely even pronounce. But I can't tell her that. She'll probably think I'm a creep. Without thinking, I grabbed her hand, "Hey, hey. Don't worry about it. We still have more than half the school year to do that. It's okay. The gang'll understand. Believe me." She looked up, where her eyes met mine. She's a little taller than I am, or maybe it's because she was standing on her "Welcome" mat. I held her hand longer, waiting for her to respond. She nod her head a couple times in understanding. I wanted to let go, but I didn't. I held her hand, and I felt the warmth of her touch on my fingertips. I was okay.

She looked at our hands, and rubbed her thumb against the back of my hand, and I could feel my heart flutter. Was this actually happening? I did the same to hers. She smiled, but suddenly she let go. Oh no, I've made it awkward. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to-" she put her hand against my cheek. "You didn't do anything." Her hand felt soft against my face. I didn't want her to move, but I know she had to, and she did. "I should probably get going before my mom gets worried." I said pointing to my house. She giggled. Probably the cutest giggle I've ever heard in my life. "Okay, I'll see you in the morning." She said with a big smile on her face. "Goodnight beautiful." I said confidently. She got shy, and looked away for a second and finally said "goodnight cutie." I chuckled and walked towards my drive way. I walked slowly, waiting to hear her door shut. Seconds later, I heard it. Good, she's inside.

I couldn't stop thinking about what happened tonight. I was still in disbelief. There's definitely something there. I just know it. My heart knows it. I couldn't stop smiling at the thought of her. I turned to my night stand, and switched my lamp off, and tried to get some sleep. Before you know it, I was already starting to doze off. "Goodnight world." I said sleepily. And I'm out.