"Yet," said Terry, winking at Jean. "I see how that boy looks at you. He loves you."

Jean tried to fight the smile as she finished wiping down the espresso machine. Terry took the rag from her hand and shooed her away. After Terry's comment, Jean wanted nothing more than to go see him.

He only lived a few minutes from her work, and Jean hoped he would be home. She saw his red Chevy truck in the parking lot and felt relieved when she pulled in.

She felt like busting in and scaring him, but his door was locked. She knocked, but he didn't answer. He must be sleeping. She knocked again, harder.

His truck was in the parking lot, but he never usually locked his door during the day. Did he walk somewhere?

She called his phone and she heard it ringing from inside his apartment. She lowered her phone in confusion, wondering if he forgot it. Then she heard the footsteps inside.

"Anthony?" she called against the door. "It's me, are you okay?"

He finally whipped the door open, startling her.

"Jean?" He asked. "I thought you were at work?"

"Terry cut me early," Jean said. "Surprise. Were you sleeping?"

Anthony ran a hand through his hair. "Yeah, I wasn't expecting you. It startled me. I didn't know who was knocking so aggressively. How'd you get in without being buzzed?"

"Someone let me in," she said, gazing up into his blue eyes. He leaned up against the doorway and his hair was a mess. He had some serious bedhead, but she swore he got more attractive every time she saw him. She put her arms around his waist and buried her face in his chest. When she pulled back, her eye caught something right behind his feet.

"Whose shoes are those?" Jean asked, eyeing a pair of brown flats a few feet past his entrance.

Anthony looked behind him and saw the flats. He froze for a second before turning back to Jean.

"Amy's."

"Amy's here?" Jean asked. They were just together. We're they working through whatever was upsetting her on Thanksgiving? "Where is she?"

Anthony tapped his hand nervously against the door frame. "She had to step out for a bit."

Jean looked at the shoes. "Without her shoes?"

When she brought her eyes back to meet Anthony's, she saw tears welling in his eyes. Her heart started racing, confused by his reaction. He didn't say a word. What was going on? Something serious must be going on with her to get Anthony to react this way.

"Jean, I'm so sorry," Anthony whispered.

When he uttered those words, it hit her like a brick wall. Those weren't Amy's shoes. They were shoes that belonged to a girl that Anthony would lie to Jean's face about.

"Oh my god," she whispered, backing up across the hallway until her back hit the opposite wall. She felt her knees buckle and she lowered herself to sit on her heels, covering her mouth with her hands. "Oh my god, oh my god, oh my god."

Anthony turned around, his finger interlocked behind his head as he looked towards the ceiling. Why wasn't he saying anything? Why wasn't he telling her it was okay and it wasn't what she thought?

The longer he remained quiet, the more it confirmed what she didn't want it to be. Her vision went black around the edges and all the things she had pictured for the future started to crumble in her mind. He ruined it. He ruined her dreams.