Chapter Four- Visitor

chapter four

the next day...

It kept Richie up all night. What kind of person kills an animal as an apology gift?!

All he knows, is that he doesn't want anything to do with that insanely cute boy.

"Richie—" Richie jumped as his mom entered his room. "Sorry, didn't mean to scare you" she said from the doorway

"Your good, I'm just— jumpy" he sat back against the headboard of his bed.

She hummed and nodded her head, "well I just got called into work-"

"What? But it's almost dark out?" Suddenly his heart felt like it would jump out of his mouth.

" duty calls" she sighed. Richie refrained from laughing at 'duty' and looked at how tired his mom looked.

"are you okay? You look kind of tired?" He worried his eyebrows and got up to hug her. Maggie hugged him back and let out a long sigh.

"I'm okay, just busy" she released him and swept his curls off his forehead, but they fell back into place. "Stay in tonight, it's a full moon you know." She winked and left his room. Maggie was always one to believe in folk tales and mythical creatures. Richie swallowed hard and waited until he heard the front door close.

Once he heard the click he ran downstairs and locked the front door. He ran around the furniture obstacles and then locked the back door. He slid every curtain shut and turned off every light in the house. Out of breath, he jogged up the stairs to his room and shut the door behind him. He closed his eyes and let out a breath.

" hey there, curls"

Richie whipped around to see Eddie sitting in his window. He grabbed a desk lamp off his desk and pointed it at Eddie, "Stay back!"

Eddie looked at the lamp, then at Richie. "What are you gonna do? shine light in my eyes?" He giggled and Richie put down the lamp.

"What are you doing here? And how did you get up to a two-story window?" Richie stayed by his door.

" I told you I'd come by" he jumped down from the window and slid it closed. Richie sighed and sat down against his bed headboard.

"You know, in California, we never left dead rodents by people's doors as 'apologies'" he looked over at Eddie who teetered on his feet. It was the first time he looked vulnerable.

"Sorry.... I don't really talk to many people."

Richie took pity on him. Maybe he's just a weird kid? So is Richie.

"It's okay. My mom didn't see it anyways"

Eddie relaxed and put back on his persona. He went over to Richies bed and sat at the edge. Richie had his knees up so he couldn't see the small boy. Eddie crawled up towards Richie.

Richie spread his legs and looked at Eddie as he came closer. "What are you doing...."

"nothing" Eddie smiled innocently. He licked his lips and Richie shuttered. Right when they were almost touching, Eddie stopped and sat up.