Chapter 10: Surprise!

The next two weeks went by without any problem. I sat at the 'nerd's table' every lunch and no one complained. After school I went over to Maxwell's house one time. He has the coolest little brother. Carly's second date with Brian went great, she even kissed him on the cheek.

Anyways, today was a very special day. It was Kyle's 17th birthday, and Andrew, Maxwell and I were celebrating with him. It was morning, and Maxwell said he would pick me up and drive me to Kyle's house.

True to his word, Maxwell rang the doorbell at exactly 11:00am.

"You're good at being on time." I commented as I opened the door. He smiled as I grabbed my bag and Kyle's present.

"You got the dog collar?" he asked as we made our way to the car.

"Yep." I replied.

"Good, good." Maxwell said. Soon we pulled up to Andrew's house. "Go get him, will you cupcake?"

"Cupcake?" I asked, laughing. He just stuck his tongue out as I climbed out of the car. I had only seen Andrew's house from the outside once, and that was when he had to run in and get some stuff as we were driving to Maxwell's house. I rang the doorbell beside his big wooden door. Andrew opened it after a few moments.

"Oh, hey Isabella."

"Hi." I replied. He swiftly put on his shoes and closed the door behind him.

"What colour collar did you get him?"

"Red plaid." I answered. Andrew let out a small chuckle, remembering that Kyle wears a different plaid button up shirt everyday.

Once we were all in the car, I made sure everyone brought their gift. Andrew had the dog toy and Maxwell had the leash. Good.

Now you must be wondering what's up with all this dog stuff. Well, after talking to his parents, the three of us got him a German Shepard puppy. The puppy itself is at Kyle's house already, but he has no clue it's there.

~~~~~~~

After congratulating Kyle on his 17th birthday, the four of us went to his basement and played video games, talked; just had a lot of fun. After that we had cake, and now it was time to give the presents. I went first.

"Thanks for the, uh, collar..." he said, confused.

"Yeah, I thought it would look good on you." I said. He gave me a weak smile.

"I'm next!" Maxwell shouted. Kyle was still a bit confused after opening Maxwell's gift. But after opening Andrew's, I think he got the hints.

Maxwell quickly excused himself to go to the washroom, as I started talking.

"So, Kyle, there's also one last gift from the three of us that we think you'll enjoy the most...."

In came the little puppy, jumping happily towards us. Maxwell trailed behind. The puppy stopped in between us all, waiting for someone to pet or play with it.

"No way." Kyle whispered, mostly to himself. He laughed, "No way!" He quickly bent down and starting ruffling the dogs fur. The dog instantly bounced closer towards him. "You guys! This is the best! I can't thank you guys enough! A German Shepard is perfect!" He went on. We laughed along with him and played a bit with the tiny puppy.

"Kyle, we also have a gift for you." Kyle's dad said.

"What is it?" he asked.

"Here." His mom walked up to him and gave him a neatly wrapped present. He torn it open, revealing a hard cover book.

"A... Book. Great Expectations. Wow, uh, thanks." he said, a bit disappointed.

"Open it up, flip through a few pages. You'll like it." his dad added. Kyle did as he was told, and when he did, he found out that it was not a book, but more of a box. And inside that box were car keys.

"What!" he shouted. "You guys got me a car?!" He started laughing. "Where is it?!"

"On the driveway." his mom smiled. Kyle quickly turned around and sprinted to the front door.

~~~~~~~

The rest of the day went nicely. We tried out Kyle's new car, had dinner, played with the puppy and just fooled around. But all good things eventually come to an end. Tomorrow we had school, so we couldn't stay for too late. After wishing Kyle one last Happy Birthday, we all left.

------------------------------
Vote, Comment, Follow :)