✰ NINETEEN - DRUNK IN LOVE ✰

Start from the beginning

"Hey Klaus, I was hoping..." but she trailed off when she saw who it was. Genevieve. The witch who had tortured her best friend. She wore only her underwear and a silk robe. Lena felt jealousy spike through her. "...you weren't witch a half-naked psychowitch! Seems I got my hopes up too fast."

"Ten minutes ago I was fully naked!" shot back Genevieve.

"Ten minutes ago I was on the phone to my best friend, who you tortured! Isn't that truly amazing?" Lena's eyes narrowed at the redhead standing beside Klaus. She had never felt jealousy like this before and she hated it. Why was Klaus pushing everyone away from him? Why was he letting his sorrows overtake him? "Don't think I'm just standing here for the fun of it, bye bye!"

Genevieve strolled right up to Lena, classy heels tapping against the hardwood flooring. Lena continued to glare at her. "Keep acting like this and you'll end up like the rest of your rotting family," she snapped, eyes dangerous green slits.

"I can't wait to tell my friend all about you, she's a Luzzatto." Genevieve blanched at the name. Every witch knew the name Luzzatto. It was one of the most feared names in witch history. "Her speciality is fire." Genevieve stormed right past Lena then, shoulder hitting off her not very gently. Lena did not care to watch her leave. All she did was glare at Klaus until Genevieve's footsteps had disappeared out of hearing range.

"Really?" Lena found herself hissing before Klaus could get a word in edgeways. "She tortured your bloody sister!"

"Well New Orleans breeds nothing if not strange bedfellows," Klaus joked with humour missing from his voice. Lena turned as he walked past her, looking less than happy at being interrupted. "But I assume you're not here to question my leisure activities," Klaus pointed out as he poured himself a drink.

"I'm here because I'm worried about you but I know you're not gonna talk to me, all you've done since Rebekah's left is push everyone away, so I'm not going to bother to try and reel you back in." Klaus smirked to himself as he leant against the drinks cabinet, his eyes roaming over Lena. "So instead I'm gonna ask you to help Cami's uncle. He's deteriorating. Nothing's working, he's getting so much worse. But it was a witch you put that curse on him and it's a witch who can take it off, if Carlotta and I could, we would. I hate seeing Father Kieran like this, and so should you, he's your friend after all."

"And what do you expect me to do about it, little witch?" Klaus asked. The nickname dripped off his tongue like alcohol as he drank in Lena's tiny figure standing across from him with the hem of her skirt grazing her thighs and her socks pulled up so he could see just the right amount of leg.

"You're obviously very close to Genevieve, maybe you could persuade her to help."

"It won't do any good. These hexes, they start with magic but as they take root they alter the very chemistry of the brain. You wouldn't know anything about it, you're not a good enough witch."

Lena bristled at his harsh words. He said them so casually, like they were just simple facts. Like he was counting all the way up to ten and back again, singing the alphabet or telling her that France was in Europe. He was just telling her the truth, and it hurt to hear.

"Why are you being like this?"

"Like what?

"Like-like-like someone I don't want to know anymore!"

Klaus merely shrugged. Lena felt the tears collect in her eyes and she had to take a deep breath to gather her thoughts, to stop them from spilling out of the tiny little bubbles that she liked to keep them in, to stop them from getting mixed up. Bad thoughts go to the back, good thoughts to the front. Bad thoughts get stored away, locked with a key.