✰ SIXTEEN - TREASURE HUNT ✰

" 'cause you know the truth hurts "

IT had been hours, and yet Rebekah and Klaus still hadn't been found. Elijah had even interrupted Sophie Devereaux's consecration to get answers from Monique Deveraux.

"I want her back just as much as you do you know?" Lena heard Marcel say as she made her way into the sitting room where they spent quite a lot of their time. Elijah had just taken off his suit jacket. "Both of them."

Marcel quirked his eyebrows at Lena as he passed by her. She had spent most of her time in the French Quarter, searching everywhere she could for the two of them, but she had caught sight of Elijah rushing back to the compound and followed him.

"HAYLEY!" he called on the werewolf as Lena made her way over to him. He was unbuttoning his shirt.

"What did Monique tell you?"

"Elijah you're back!" interrupted Hayley. "Did you find any...thing?" she trailed off, eyes widening as Elijah let his blue shirt crumple to the floor. Lena's eyes widened, not at his abs (although they were pretty nice to stare at) but at the names that littered his chest and arms.

"What the hell are those?" Lena asked. Behind her Marcel was trying to find pen and paper.

"I need you two to make a list of these names." The two females shared a look and Lena took the pen and paper from Marcel as Hayley went up to Elijah to inspect the names that also covered his back. She heard her whisper the name Sabine.

"I believe they represent the names of the women that Celeste has inhabited for the past two centuries," Elijah explained as Lena made her way over to Hayley and Elijah. She had heard of something like this before, but she had been too young to remember her family using them when she was a child. 

"It's called a devinette," she told them, handing a pad of paper and a pen to Hayley while keeping one for herself. "It's old school, kinda like a riddle. Witches use them to teach their kids, solve it and it disappears."

"Why? What's the point?" asked Hayley. Lena glanced up from her pad of paper. She had already began to jot down some of the names on Elijah's shoulder.

"Celeste forced me to make a choice between yourself and my siblings and now she means to mock that choice, taunting me with a childish game. The longer the game, the more they suffer--"

"Oh wow, at least Celeste knows the meaning of family!" sang Lena, not having to look up to know that Elijah was glaring at her. She had been going at him all day with little quips to make him know that she really did not appreciate his choice to save Hayley instead of his own siblings.

"--to find Niklaus and Rebekah we need to solve this riddle. The solution lies somewhere in these names." Elijah held up his arms, causing Lena to curse in her head as the name she had been halfway through writing was obscured from her vision. She grabbed his arm and forced it down so that she could finish.