Chapter 35 - Foolish Eyes

Start from the beginning

"I already told you this, but you're a terrible liar, Nao," Axel said. I thought I heard a smile in his tone.

"I told you it's not a lie."

"Well, there's something you're not telling me."

Time moved around us, not quite touching our tired silhouettes on that leather couch. I could hear the faint sounds of traffic and student groups howling at the moon. Below us, a network of humans was moving about their lives, partying, heading home, or spending the night with a treasured lover. Somewhere in town, Seth was getting drunk on both victory and booze, settling the scores with Miriam Reed once and for all. Somewhere in town, Lily was having a conversation with Olivia, maybe even shedding some tears over her stupid, former boyfriend.

Somewhere in town, things were moving and evolving, but in Axel's apartment, I was stuck in a desperate loop.

"I was worried," I said, at last, raising my face and staring out the window. "I thought something had happened to you."

"Huh," was all Axel said. I saw him raise his cup to his lips in my peripheral vision. Still refusing to meet his eyes, I continued.

"There were some rumors... About a fight. I thought you were hurt, so I came here."

"Why didn't you just call?"

My phone seemed to be burning a hole in my palm, almost like a question in and of itself. Yes, why hadn't I?

"I... I don't know," I murmured. It was difficult to breathe. Inhaling felt like drowning. Facing Axel was worse than facing Lily, I realized. Owning up to my past fuck-ups was easier than meeting my current ones head-on. In fact, I was fucking up right now.

"Drink," Axel suggested, shoving the hot chocolate closer to my hands. "You'll feel better."

I doubted that, but followed his advice nonetheless. He'd picked up on my drink preferences somewhere along the way, and made the best hot chocolate I'd had in a while. Taking a sip, I reveled in the warm feeling that spread through my body. Man, that hit the spot.

"Was the party nice?"

I swallowed and finally dared a direct glance into Axel's face. He was relaxed, still drinking his coffee, and was observing me through his dark, messy bangs. His hair was growing longer, I noted.

"It was okay," I said. "Lots of people, lots of decorations, someone smuggled alcohol in... Your run-of-the-mill party, really."

Axel chuckled, a warm and comfortable sound. "Sounds about right. Were everyone dressed up like you?"

Embarrassment burned in the pit of my stomach. Thanks for the reminder, asshole. I regretted not accepting his jacket earlier. The costume had felt like a good, low-effort idea at the time, but now I wished I'd went with something cooler. I must have looked like a bloody elf where I sat, hunched over and cradling my hot chocolate. I was glad I'd thrown the hat in the river at least.

"Costumes were a must," I said simply.

"It's a good costume." Axel left his now-empty cup on the table. The action elicited a soft clinking sound. He considered me. "Cute."

My belly did a weird twist. That was the second time he'd called me cute. My ears burned and my shoes felt too tight around my ankles. I desperately wished for my face to stop heating up.

"Funny," I hissed. No one was laughing.

"I mean it," Axel said, face falling into one of his wistful smiles. "I'm not making fun."

"Whatever."

I left my half-empty cup on the table and got to my feet. This was too much. I couldn't sit here and make conversation with Axel, couldn't handle his calling me cute. It was close to 2 am on a Wednesday, and my stomach was doing odd things without my permission.

"Why did you really come, Nao?"

I was halfway across the room already, halfway in the process of nicking one of Axel's jackets before stealing out of the apartment. I halted and turned around, just far enough so I could see him. My head was tingling with anger and a mysterious sense of resolve. Fine, my brain seemed to be saying. Have it your way.

"I wanted to see you," I spat. "Happy?"

But I didn't stay long enough to hear if Axel was happy or not. I grabbed his marine coat from the rack and fled as quickly as my pointy feet could carry me. I didn't even close the door, opting instead for the stairway exit, descending 23 floors on foot, all the while internally screaming at myself for every step I took.

 I didn't even close the door, opting instead for the stairway exit, descending 23 floors on foot, all the while internally screaming at myself for every step I took