Chapter 26

Ever since I got jumped on the walk home someone from the gang was always with me. It was usually Pony or Two-bit, but occasionally Soda. It was another day at the diner and Ponyboy and Two-bit decided to hang around.
"Are you okay Courtney? I've noticed that your brother and friends come here more often, not that there's anything wrong with that." Katie said.
"I got jumped a few weeks ago by some soc's. They just want to make sure I'm safe especially since I'm well you know." I said gesturing to my pregnant stomach.
"Ah I see well if they ever want to go somewhere else instead of waiting for you I can always walk home with you." Katie said.
"Thanks Katie, but you don't have to do that." I said.
"I insist. Besides you're like a daughter to me it's the least I could do." Katie said with a smile and I went to wait some tables.
Everything was going fine until those guys who jumped me walked in. I started to shake and Ponyboy noticed.
"What's wrong sis?" Ponyboy said and I just pointed. Both he and Two-bit looked to where I pointed and stood up.
"What are you doing here pal?" Two-bit said.
"Easy grease we just want some food." A Soc said and sat down with some buddies.
"K-Katie they were the ones who jumped me." I said scared.
"It's okay. I'll handle them." Katie said and walked over to their table and I went to another. The day went by pretty quick which was a relief.
"Bye Katie!" I said as I was just about to leave.
"Wait here's your paycheck." Katie said and handed me my paycheck.
"Thanks. See you tomorrow?" I asked
"Don't worry about coming in tomorrow. Aaron said you could have Saturday off. I'll see you Monday!" Katie said and ran off. I then left with my brother and Two-bit.
"How much you make week?" Ponyboy asked.
"Including tips? About 180. I'm gonna give majority of it to Darry though for the bills." I said.
"You know you can keep some that for yourself. Darry's doing fine with you guys." Two-bit said.
"I know, but I like helping him out." I said.
"Alright. I'm out I'll catch ya guys later. Have a date with Kathy." Two-but said and walked off.
"Hey Pony?" I asked.
"Yeah?" Pony asked.
"Mind if we head to the book store on the way home?" I asked.
"Sure I don't see why not." Ponyboy said and we headed towards the book store.
I got a copy of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and a few baby books. Pony got some Robert Frost book and we headed home. Once we headed home we saw some socs but managed to run towards our house before they could get us.
"Hey you two okay?" Sodapop asked.
"Yeah just almost ran into some socs but we managed to escape them." Pony said.
"Good. Dinners almost ready." Darry said.
I headed to my room and set my book down and changed from my work outfit into some comfortable clothes and grabbed some money for Darry and sat down at the table.
"Dinners ready!" Darry yelled and Sodapop and Ponyboy came running and started digging in.
"Dang. You guys are acting like you haven't eaten in days." I said with a laugh.
"We're growing boys we need to eat." Sodapop said and I laughed.
"You're such a pig." I said with a laugh.
"I am not!" Sodapop said.
"You and Pony both are." I say with a laugh.
"Hey!" They both said.
"Alright you three calm down." Darry said and ate his dinner.
"Oh Darry before I forget here is some of my tips that I made. There's about $120 there." I said.
"Courtney." Darry said.
"Please don't argue and take it." I said.
Darry sighed but took it and we continue to eat dinner together with a few laughs here and there.