✰ SEVENTEEN - BABYSITTING THE DEVIL ✰

Beginne am Anfang

"Elijah..." Klaus' voice was a croak, but Lena could understand him as Elijah leant down to hear the rest. "You will pay for this."

Lena let out a scoff as Elijah straightened up again. Klaus' head manoeuvred over to her as she crawled back onto the bed, getting herself comfy. "You need to work on your threatening people problem," she joked, delicately moving a strand of his hair away from his sweaty forehead.

Elijah smiled and nodded to Lena, moving out of Klaus' bedroom and leaving the two alone. Lena sighed and rolled up the sleeve of her grey dress. "If Rebekah knew I was letting you feed on me she'd kill me," Lena joked, allowing Klaus to take a hold of her wrist. He glanced up at her before his teeth sunk into her skin.

"Christ! Slow down!" she snapped as he guzzled up her blood. "I thought the magic was supposed to burn."

Klaus let her go, and she grabbed another cloth (they seemed to have a lot of these lying about) to wipe the blood off her arm. The wound would take ages to heal, luckily Klaus would have to drink from her again, so she would have just have to wait all day. "The line between what brings us pain and what sustains us is far thinner than one imagines," he managed to say despite his weakness.

"Are we talking about my blood or your need to hunt down the people you love most?" she asked, wrapping the cloth around her wrist in order to stop the bleeding.

"I'm too weak for you to berate me right now," Klaus said, moving his head away from her. Lena sighed, moving closer to him on the bed and motioning for him to lay his head in her lap. He rose his eyebrows at her but did so anyway, allowing her fingers to run through his hair somewhat comfortingly. (She was mostly only doing it because she had wanted to do so since she had seen his little curls.)

"Klaus, she's your sister, how can you hate her?" Lena asked. Klaus glanced up at her through his thick eyelashes.

"Because she has done what no one else has managed to do to me for one thousand years -- rip my heart out." She sighed again, remember how close Rebekah and Klaus had been. Rebekah had told her so many stories, some were good, some really were not. Klaus would kill the men she fell for. Klaus would dagger her. Klaus would hurt her. But there were times when he really cared for her. He would dance with her. He would take her to any city she wanted. He would protect her from those trying to hurt her.

Klaus loved Rebekah, even if he had a hard time showing it.

Klaus began to explain the story of how he gave Marcel and Rebekah his happiness to be together in 1919. Lena had listened and when he had motioned for her to help him up, she had done so and took him to end of the bed. She had handed over a shirt, which she had to button up since he was so weak.

It was weird to button up Klaus' shirt, mostly because her fingers had trailed over his chest and that energy had surged through her again and her body had burned in embarrassment and Klaus had even managed to smile to himself.

"I'd let my guard down and given in to happiness, more fool, I" he told her as she crouched in front of him, fingers doing up buttons. His own fingers played with the ends of almost black hair that fell from her messy bun. "Turns out they'd already betrayed me and brought to town the one thing I'd been running from for centuries...my father."

"Oh," she said, even though she already knew it.

"Yes oh," Klaus said, moving away from her and leaning back on the bed. She watched as he struggled to move a cushion behind his head and she sighed, leaning over him to do so.

"God, you turn into a right baby when you're weak," she joked, causing him to let out a breath of laughter. Once she did that, she moved around the bed to sit beside him again, folding her knees underneath her. "So you're consumed by revenge you'll never achieve. Rebekah and Marcel could be anywhere in the world by now."