Chapter 12: Sickness can be Death

Start from the beginning

We stopped in front of my father's room and I could feel my heart skip a beat. "I'm at the station if you need anything." Lee says as he walks away leaving Jack and I alone. I turn to Jack, "You ready to meet my wall?" I ask. He didn't hesitate to even answer as he opens the door for me letting me step in first. In the bed was a man with shaggy blonde hair and if his eyes were open you'd see the deep blue eyes that matched mine. He had an IV in his right arm and a machine showing his heart rate. I walked in and go to the vast by his table with the old flowers in them from my last visit. I take the flowers out and changed the water before I return them to his nightstand and kiss him on the forehead, "Hey dad." I say.

"I have someone I'd like you to meet." I continue trying not to show weakness as I turn to Jack who looked shocked. "Dad this is Shimo-Fujitsu Jack, and his my boyfriend." I say making him smile a little, "Jack this is my father, Moon Victor." I say waiting to see what Jack was going to do. Seeing my father like this won't make him leave but when I tell him what happened, that might. Jack starts to walk over to us and bows to my father, "It's a pleasure to meet you sir." He says as he looks at me. "Your wall?" He ask as I nod, "Take a sit, I'll tell you everything."

***

I didn't think it would be hard to tell my story of what happened but it was. I was holding on to my dad's hand like I always do when I visit. Sometimes I'll read him a book or just hold his hand and sit in silents. "Elsa... You don't have to tell me." Jack said remind me he was there. I shook my head, "No, I need to. We told each other we'll be honest with each other so I need to tell you." I take a deep breath, "You know we moved here about a two years ago. My father got a really good job at the oil fields and with my mom's job it's easy for her to transfer. I was... So excited to move here. I always wanted to see Japan and learn more about the culture." I started to look through my phone until I found the picture we took the moment we got to our house, our old house. I show the picture to Jack, "This is the house we originally moved in too." I say as Jack looks at the picture.

"You look so happy." He says handing me back my phone. "I was... Everything was going great. Even meeting you couldn't hurt my spirit, even though you're a pain in the ass." I say making him laugh, "Okay I get it, you hated me." He says but I shook my head, "No, I didn't." I say making him raise his eyebrow but I shook that away, "No we'll talk about that another time." I say as I look back at my father seeing his chest move up and down. "About six months after we moved here, my dad had an accident." I could feel the tears start to come into my eyes. "I was at school helping out with the school festival and I stayed late. I told my father I would take the bus home but he didn't like that idea and said he'd come pick me up."

I took a deep breath I could already feel my voice start to shake. "I got a call from my mother saying my dad had a heart attack and crashed his car." My voice shook as I move my fingers through my hair putting my hand on my forehead looking at the ground, "I thought he died, I thought his heart had stopped and I was right and wrong at the same time. He hit a pole when the attacked happened and his airbag went off hitting him unconscious." My whole body started to shake, "Lucky for him, the man that found him was an EMT and kept him alive until he reached the hospital.

"He survived the heart attack but... His brain got swollen from the airbag and his been in a coma ever since. It's been almost a year and his brain has healed but, he won't wake up." I say feeling tears go down my face. "Elsa..." I hear Jack says as I felt my breath caught in my throat, "It's all my fault... I should of pushed him to not pick me up, I shouldn't of told him I needed a ride at all. If I did, he would of never hit that pole... he wouldn't be here. And we... We...." I couldn't hold it anymore as the tears took over my body and I started to cry.

I hear the chair next to me slide as I feel two arms go around me making me turn and hold Jack as I cried. "It's not your fault, you didn't do this. This was an act of God, you didn't do this Elsa." Jack said over and over again but it still made me feel like I did. "We lost the house, my mom started to work double shifts just to pay the bills and the rent in our house now." I cried still holding on to Jack. "That's why you worked at the Cafe... I knew you had bills but I didn't..." He whisper making me nod as I finally start to calm down a little.