▪️{PART 14}▪️

Ever since you were little you always put others needs before your own. The happiness and well being of others was something you always wanted to achieve.

You knew that seeing others hurt or upset was something you couldn't bare.
But that was your life as soon to be monarch. You were conditioned ever since before you could talk to put others before yourself. It was a sacrifice you had to make for the benefit of the country. Your country.

So when you saw the aftermath of what the French had done you couldn't help but blame yourself. The rational part of your brain disagreed, but the other part of you didn't. It was your engagement to harry that made them so angry, the alliance.

When you fled here you led them to the castle. And you insisting on sending troops to Scotland made them so enraged they wanted to kill you and Harry, and take England and Scotland. And they would knock down anyone who got in their way.

You couldn't have your own people, and others risking themselves for you, when your people should come first.
You knew the French would stop at nothing to end this alliance between Scotland and England.

You kept thinking maybe that's what needs to happen. In a peaceful way to keep everyone happy and everyone safe. You didn't want more blood on your hands, you wouldn't.

If the alliance stopped, Not only will that protect Scotland, but England and all its people. Your heart shuttered at how close those French savages were to the village. Imagine if you picked them to hurt instead of us?

And what's to stop them now from taking Scotland and your people hostage? They want the crown and the power, and that makes them ruthless.

The only reason they are attacking is because of the alliance. They thought the alliance would come against them, and it did when you ordered to send troops to fight them.

If you would of just left it alone, none of this would be happening. If you just stayed in Scotland maybe things would be been different.

But you can't change the past, but the future is filled with possibilities. So you knew that you had to do what was best for Scotland, it was your duty.
The words your mother spoke to you before you fled to England rang in your ears.

"always do right by Scotland. Above all else do right by your Country"

The alliance between Scotland and England was at the time beneficial to one another. But times have changed, society had progressed, and nations are rising. The world 10 years ago might of needed that alliance but today, it is hurting Scotland and England more than it should.
At least that's what you tried to convince yourself.

You knew this engagement and marriage could no longer go on, because it was dangerous. You wouldn't risk the lives of your own subjects, just to gain a political alliance. Politics is important, but not more important than people's lives.

Apart of you was screaming at yourself, to stop over analyzing everything. This is what your mother and father wanted for you. They knew England would be the best place for you, and the alliance would make both nations stronger.

The events of the French attack has got you on edge, everything will be fine. You thought to yourself.

Harry has been gone for a few days and left the castle, to search for those men who invaded the palace with many soldiers. They will find anyone else who was involved, and they will be faced with treason. That will show the French and anyone else against us that they cannot win.

What better way to protect your own people and country, with England, the strongest nation in the world on your side? You told yourself.

This alliance could still be a good thing?
Maybe.