22

Jen

Sitting beside Rick for the whole day, talking apart from work like a normal colleague is weird to me, especially after our mutual agreement of leaving our past behind. Though it was my suggestion, it sounds insane to me.

When I got the call from Jenny to join her on the beach, Rick refused saying we have to finish the Launch's plan, he asked me to align the program of Launching and good host to keep the event on high spirit. Eventually, everything work out smoothly and I am tired to death. I need my desk neat and clean before I leave for the day, it gives yourself a sense of closure or completion to your day. I wish we could do the same with the life, closure and new start...a painful sigh erupt from me, resting my hands on my hips I start rechecking everything. then suddenly, all lights go off, I grip hard on my bottom of shirt. My breath hitch in my throat, a tap on my shoulder startles me , I jerk my arm away in panic and before I could scream, I turn to see Rick.

"Hey, I didn't mean to scare you.." raising his hand Rick announce with a hint of guilt.

"No you didn't" Gulping my breath I answer with a straight face, he doesn't needs to know it did affect me, I can't sleep without the lights on, I panic when the lights go off and can't dare to move in a darkened room with a thumping heartbeat and a churning stomach. Darkness reminds me of my nightmares and I see red everywhere.

"Good" he reply and switch on the torch of his mobile, meeting his uncertain eyes, crazy enough but I feel actually good.

"What happened to light?" I ask avoiding his concern eyes.

"Um... come I will show you something" he extends his hand to me, I just stare to his offered hands.

"Jen" cunningly he stares back to me while shaking his head, without giving me a time to think, he fetch me to his direction holding my arm firmly.

"Rick" with sharp tone I warn him which went to his deaf ears, before I could slap his hand away he stops near the stairs. His eyes spark with amusement, the look of excitement and pride on his face make my heart jump with joy. I was so caught up on him that I don't realize the darkness around me.

"one, two..." He starts counting, I fail to understand his plan and the reason of his amusement, I watch him without blinking until his gaze hold mine. His eyes stare through me, making their own private calculation. My heart flip as he smiles briefly moving his hand inexpressively, Taking a step towards me.

"And three.." just after his announcement, the entire room illuminate with the lights, the style and beauty of what I am seeing mesmerized me, though it was my idea but seeing how fantastically it work is so pleasing. Unknowingly my feet move ahead, the entrance looks so beautiful with the colourful lights, definitely the aroma of gourmet food combine with Casablanca lilies and fresh gardenias will add to the pleasantness of the entire room on the event. The antiques and beautiful decoration definitely will attract the guests, the artificial fountain on the centre is eye catching.

If my work could impress the guests and the event will get successful, Karen will surely get more prospective business in future which would be enough to clear all loans. If I'm right with this thought I feel very proud at what I've done. The happiness firms my eyes into the form of tears. Gentle hand warm my shoulder and I look back to Rick with a smile, who seems more happier than me.

"I am so proud of you Jen, you did an excellent job" With a responding smile he voice his word of appreciation and my smile broaden on his words.

"Thanks" I said, not needing to force the genuine appreciation into my voice this time.

"Thanks, that's it, no not at all." he said shaking his head, tapping on my hand he forces me to look at another direction.

"You are going to be rewarded with lavish dinner for this marvellous work" ok that sounds good, checking the kitchen area, I thought there will be a chef to arrange the dinner for us which Rick dismissed immediately.