Weeds - Chapter Fifteen

Vote

Comment

Fan

-

My mom was criticizing my teacher.

Full out, shaming Mr. Hyson for not knowing how to color co ordinate.

I looked rigidly between her and the male on the other side of the table, he was looking at her appalled.

I looked at Elliott who was sitting awkwardly on the other side of my mother.

I felt the chills squirm their way through me and I let out an involuntary yawn.

"Elliott is doing a fantastic job so far although I would recommend he participate more along with Riley." Mr. Hyson said through grit teeth

"I'm sure they will try harder from now on, as long as you try  harder to learn how to dress ."

I groaned burying my head into my hands. Mom was so embarrassing.

"But just in case here is my number, just so I can keep you informed." Mr. Hyson said handing my mom a yellow sticky note.

I looked over at Elliott who looked at me with a disturbed expression. We all got out of our seats and my teacher walked us to the door, "See you kids tomorrow," He nodded towards my mom, " Mrs. Stone."

"Its Mrs. Rhodes to you."

Mr. Hyson smiled for the first time that night,  "Good night guys."

As soon as he shut the door I began glaring at my mother, how dare she not only insult my favorite teacher but call herself by her maiden name?

Was this really how it was going to be now? She pretend my dad never happen and we just play along with her delusion?

"Riley would you please quit staring at me?" My mom asked not sparing me a glance while she walked us down the corridor to the next class, which Elliott and I also had together.

"I'm glaring  Mrs. Rhodes, not staring." I corrected, putting emphasis on the 'Rhodes'.

She sighed, "You always were so immature, why can't you be more like Bridget?"

I sighed clenching my fists, she always did this, always comparing me to Bridget. I was never good enough, not when I was trying my best to be the perfect daughter, not when I was trying to be like Bridget and not when I was just me.

Never.

I looked over at Elliott who was walking along side me with his hands shoved into his pants, he hadn't gone back to school after bringing me lunch on Tuesday and neither had I. Ghost and I had skipped the last two classes to go hang out at the bridge.

The bridge was , well a bridge that had been abandoned in the eighties in the middle of its construction. It was rumored that countless murders had taken place there, the bridge was covered in vines and graffiti but the best part about the bridge was how desolated it was.

It was the ideal place to go and think.

Ghost and I had laid there for over two hours just talking, Ghost had invited me to join her to pick up her grandmother who was flying in from China for Ghosts birthday, I agreed.

When we got to the social studies class room the door swung open revealing  a grumpy Mr. Kerr , Cole and Mike Dawson .

Mikes eyes widened as he noticed us, "Riley! Vivienne! It so nice to see you guys, it's been so long!"

My mom nodded with a small smile hugging Mike, I hugged him too. She greeted Cole before walking into the classroom.

I avoided eye contact with Cole walking past him and sitting down in the seat furthest away from the door.