Weeds - Chapter One

Weeds aren't a common occurrence out here in California. Whether its LA, Malibu or Palm Springs all lawns are green and lush. Why? No one wants to be seen with an ugly lawn, it represents you. Or at least that's what my mom said.  

"Why am I stuck on weed duty? Weeds scratch my skin." These complaints were brought to me by my twin sister, Bridget. Bridget and I were polar opposites, in every way. She was tall, I wasn't. She had blonde hair, I had brown. She was popular, I was just...there. 

"You had all summer to do it and you left it to the very last hour. Literally," 

She groaned loudly and picked up her pace, yanking the weeds out harshly. I sipped on my lemonade perching my aun-glasses farther onto my face. "What do you think Elliott is going to be like?" 

 I had only met Elliott once, and from what I could recall he had always been very quiet and was fascinated by bugs and insects, he would carry a little ant farm on his chest and a  magnifying glass in his pocket, which I found ironic since he wore glasses. He had dark hair that was always sticking out of a fisherman's hat, he mainly wore green. He wasn't someone you could forget easily. 

"I don't know, but he got hot." I rolled my eyes at Bridget's words. She couldn't see past the physical part of someone, like she couldn't see past the weeds. 

I tipped my glasses down looking at her with raised eyebrows, "And how would you know that?" 

"Face-book." 

I nodded my head in understandment, I didn't have Face-book so I missed out on a lot of things. When Bridget finished plucking the last few weeds out of the ground moms car pulled into the driveway. 

I stayed seated as my mom hopped out of her black SUV, her heels clicking hard against the ground, her phone clutched between her shoulder and her ear, she juggled her keys and her purse closing the car door with her leg. She was talking very quickly which could only mean it was a work call. That's Vivienne Stone for you, workaholic. 

She hung up on whoever she was talking to and walked around the car, where from what I could see had another person standing . Elliott. 

When they both walked around and towards us I immediately saw the changes, he was no longer dressed in green cargo shorts and a fisherman hat but instead he wore black jeans and a grey shirt, his hair was the same dark color and was tousled carelessly, his once framed face no longer had glasses. He had abnormally pale skin which I remembered from when his father would coat him in layers of sun screen and the reason for his fisherman's hat. 

It was easy to say the boy, or dare I say man standing in front of me was indeed hot. I think I needed sunscreen from just being around him. 

They walked up to where we were sitting ,  my mom glared at us until we stood up to greet them properly. 

"Elliott these are my daughters Bridget and Riley, Emma and my son Logan are out at the moment but they'll be back soon. Girls you remember Elliott, Kirks son." Both me and Bridget nodded our heads, Kirk was Elliott's dad, also known as my mom's best friend since high school. Kirk was a fun guy who happened to be a big shot scientist in New York which is where Elliott lived, Kirk and his wife Maureen had recently divorced and Elliott still had a year left of high school so he chose to come live with us. 

Elliott gave both of us a short nod before turning and walking away with my mom into the house. 

We  currently all sat around the dining table, nibbling on our food. Elliott sat at one end of the table, Bridget beside him, and Emma in front. 

"So Elliott do you plan to join any school teams?" My mom asked trying to make conversation. 

"No."