18. A Lovely Dream

They had watched the countdown on TV with Farrah snuggled up in her blanket on the couch and Richard sat next to her with his legs stretched out resting on the coffee table. Since Farrah had slept so much during the day, she went through the channels and settled on watching 'The Holiday' on TV. It was one of her favourites to watch during the festive season.

'You can't fit a square peg in a round hole', God so true, Farrah heaved a sigh. That was basically Richard and her, they'd never fit together, she frowned. Not hearing a peep from Richard in awhile, she turned around to look at him and found him asleep on the couch. And what a picture did that make. Farrah's breath caught once again as her heart picked up its pace. She looked away, but her eyes found themselves stuck on Richard's socked feet and as her gaze trailed up his legs, Farrah swallowed. His legs, looked powerful encased in the darkest of blue wash jeans as it clung to the curves of his muscles. 

Slowly, her eyes travelled from the length of his legs to the narrow-ish waist and up the expanse of his chest, all covered in another one of his flannel button-ups. She couldn't help but wonder what was hidden under his shirt and if she'd ever get a glimpse of it.

Astaghfirullah, Farrah thought quickly as she scrunched her eyes shut. Breathing deeply, she continued looking at Richard freely. They've been friends for a few weeks, but this was the first time that Farrah felt that she was truly free to take in as much of him as she wanted to. No knowing looks from Richard, no cheeky smiles, no flirty comments. Just her simply appreciating male beauty without anyone reading anything into it. And, Masyaallah, is he beautiful, she thought.

Tucking her hair behind her ears, Farrah leaned over Richard to take in his sleeping face. She was so much more comfortable looking at him with his eyes closed. When he looked at her with those dazzling blue eyes of his, she always feels like she is about to lose herself. The intensity in his eyes belies the constant smile on his face. And the fact that she knew he allowed her to be close enough to pinpoint that intensity both scared and thrilled her. 

 As she gazed on, Farrah could see remnants of last summer dotted on the bridge of his nose. As she moved closer to inspect it, Richard's eyelids fluttered open. Farrah froze inches away from his face.

Still half asleep, Richard mumbled, "Hi, my love."

"Hi," Farrah rasped out.

"This is a lovely dream," he mumbled, as he reached up and untucked Farrah's hair from her ear and twirled it around his finger slowly, moving sluggishly.

After a pause, Farrah whispered again, "Why is this a dream?"

"You never come this close to me on your own," he mumbled sadly eyes half closed.

Farrah swallowed thickly, not really knowing what to do.

"Farrah, do you feel this?" he mumbled as he lazily motioned between them as he pulled her closer by the lock of her hair still twined around his finger.

"What?" she whispered, her heart racing.

"This. This is me falling irrevocably in love with you," Richard trailed off as his eyes fluttered shut and his hand fell back on the couch.

Frozen in place, Farrah closed her eyes as she took in Richards sleepy confession. He's falling in love with me, Farrah thought. Slowly she opened her eyes as she felt the forceful exhalation of a sigh from Richard's nose on her lips. She realised that she could easily close the gap and steal a kiss. Since the night of Richard's Christmas party, Farrah couldn't stop thinking about how it would feel to press her lips against his. He had full pouty lips, with a prominent cupid's bow. She dared say that his lips were more attractive than her own lips, which she had always found to be thin and dry.