Chapter Twenty: Pit Stop at Avengers Tower

Start from the beginning

"So, what did you tell Jarvis about me?" Peter asks in a faux-casual tone as he enters the kitchen a couple of minutes later. I ignore him as I finish washing my hands. When I turn back to around to dry my hands Peter is staring at me with a look I can't place but it makes me want to punch him.

"No, I'm not going tell you because it might give you a complex. If you ask Jarvis I will know about it." I try to threaten him but give up realizing that I wont have any luck. "Now, are you hungry?" I don't wait for an answer as I turn and start riffling through the contents of the fridge. I hear Peter shuffling around slightly and then pull out a chair to sit on. "Honestly, all that's in this fridge is old take-out containers. When do you think the last time they went shopping was?" I turn and ask Peter, shutting the door as I go. "You don't have to answer that. Jarvis can you order some groceries-" I'm cut off by the sound of someone's heals clicking down the hallway. My eyes widen and I go to hide but Peter grabs my arm and keeps me stand next to him.

"Logan! Why didn't you call me before you showed up? I have been worrying myself sick about you. I had to be told by your mom that you're all healthy and are stopping by for a little while. You could've called." Pepper scolds me with her hands on her hips. I try to think of things to say but the only thing that comes to mind is hugging her. So that's what I do. I walk up to her and give her one of the biggest hugs that I can manage.

"I'm sorry, I meant to visit sooner but the doctor's appointments got in the way. I didn't mean to make you worry." I whisper in her ear as I hold onto her shoulders. She squeezes me tight before pulling away and holding me at arms-length. Pepper looks me over before speaking again. "Honey, I will always worry about you. It's my job as family to worry. Now, how about we go grab some fresh groceries and make some food? Phil did teach you how to cook, right?" Pepper questions, removing her hands from my arms and brushing invisible dirt from her fancy pants suit.

"Yeah, lets head to the store. And of course he taught me how to cook he's Italian. Wait, before we go I would like you to meet Peter Parker. I met him at midtown when Tony decided to be rude." I motion for Peter to come stand next to me. Pepper gives me a look that I don't recognize before holding out her hand in the form of a greeting.

"Hi, Peter. It's nice to finally meet you. I'm Pepper Pots, Logan's Aunt. What sounds good to eat?" Pepper shake's Peter's hand before pulling both of us with her towards the elevators. Once in the elevator, I give Peter a look as we continue listening to Pepper's talking. 

☆    

I wake up to someone shaking my shoulder. I slowly blink my eyes open and see Clint standing at the edge of the couch.

"Logan? What are you doing here? Who's this?" His voice rings through my ears making me a little more alert. I look up at him but I don't respond at first. I look around the room trying to gain a sense of my surroundings. I notice Peter asleep on the couch next to mine, hugging a small pillow. I also notice the clock next to me blink a bright red 5am. When I finally meet Clint's eyes all his questions register in my brain.

"I was waiting up for you. I guess I fell asleep at some point. His name is Peter, he's my best friend." I answer while stretching and standing up. "I also found out who my biological father is and I want to find him." I slip the reason I'm here in, hopefully I was subtle. We head to the kitchen to talk without waking Peter.

When I arrive I open the refrigerator and grab out the left overs that Peter and I put away. My movements must have told Clint to follow and he sits down at the at the counter. At first, he sits there in silence, like he's waiting for the dam to burst and all my feelings to overwhelm my sense all at once. I begin to pull out the rest of the left overs to distract myself from his therapist like vibes. My silence doesn't last long as the dam finally breaks.

"The last secret that I was kept out of the loop of end with me getting kidnapped. I almost died because my uncle thought that the knowledge of SHIELD being compromised was to much for me to handle. Then, they find out who my father is and decide to keep it to themselves again. I've wanted to know who he was since I found out I was adopted. I need to find him. I want to know what happened to make him leave me in an alley." I rant as I make a plate of food and stick it in the microwave. I meet Clint's eyes as I turn back around after starting the microwave.

"Lo, I'm not going to say that I understand but I want you to look at this from our point of view. We almost lost you. You almost died because we couldn't protect you. Tony flipped when he couldn't find you. No one was ready to go through that again." Clint reasons, using his hands to emphasize the message of his statement. I nod in understanding that what I put them through was a lot to handle. The beeping of the microwave clears my mind of any responses. I pull out the plate and place it in front of Clint, knowing that he hasn't had anything but pizza for weeks. I lean back against the metal sin, my hands gripping the cold metal.

"Want to know how I met Peter?" I ask Clint once he has eaten a good portion of his meal. He nods his head in response due to his mouth being full. "Tony enrolled me at Midtown Science Academy to pick some interns for him. I had been there for two weeks and no one would talk to me. I just they didn't like that I knew everything already. The third Monday that I was there, Peter approached me during lunch. He was painfully and adorably awkward at the same time and that made me feel safe. Peter was there for me when SHIELD fell. He helps me feel like I'm not a freaky genius. It's relaxing to talk about advanced science with someone my own age." I explain as I stare in the direction of the living room. I stay silent as Clint finishes his food. When he's done I move out of his way and let him clean his dishes. After putting the plate away, he leans against the counter next to me. We stay there for a while, like Clint's waiting for me to add more or he's processing what I said. Clint eventually nudges my arm and brings my attention back to him.

"That's how Laura and I are. She's my best friend, always has been. Percy introduced us a few years back. Laura keeps me honest and keeps me from eating pizza every night for diner. She helped me get through being a zombie for Loki." Clint pauses, and I give him a confused look because I have no idea where this is going. "I guess what I'm trying to say is that he's going to be someone that you can count on. Let him de there for you, you get the pushing people away thing from May." Clint finishes his story as he pulls me into a comforting hug. I respond right away excepting the comfort I need.

"Are you a demigod as well? Do you have a disguise as well? I'm not mad if you are. Dealing with the aftermath of SHIELD is probably rough." I ask, pulling away from the hug. From what I know, most people don't know Percy's first name. Clint's face shows surprise and a hint of relief before he pulls me into another hug. "You don't have to show me. But you could take Peter and I to England to meet up with LT to locate my father." I explain, pulling away and letting my arms drop to my side and making direct eye contact.

"Yeah, okay. What's his name?" Clint agrees, straightening his stance like a soldier being handed a mission. I take a deep breath readying myself for the argument that might take place.

"His name is Sergeant James Buchanan Barnes. Son of Triton."