Praise where Praise is Due

More than 100 artists will perform at the Austin City Limits Music Festival on the weekend of 6th and 7th October 2018 and next weekend after that. Ranging from modern-day superstars to local hopefuls in a variety of styles and genres.

But only one captivated a nation playing "The Ed Sullivan Show" in February 1964. Only one wrote "Yesterday" and "Let It Be" and the glorious side-two suite of the Beatles' "Abbey Road." Only one is, at age 76, not just a music legend, but a living link to the socio-cultural shift that defined the latter half of the 20th century.

So they asked every single act playing ACL Fest: What does it mean to you to be playing on the same bill with Paul McCartney?

More than three dozen festival performers responded. Here's what they had to say.

Hozier: "It's an incredible and surreal honor, something I'm really really looking forward to. The Beatles are one of the reasons that I make music, and one of the things I discovered like many teenagers and young artists. Paul is indispensable to my musical education, and his work is indispensable to the landscape of music as far as I'm concerned, so yes it's a joy!"

Shawn Mendes: "It's so incredible and such an honor to be playing on the same bill as Paul. He's truly a legend and one of the most influential artists ever, so it's surreal."

Brandi Carlile: "It is such an honor to be on the same bill as the man, the myth and the legend that is Paul McCartney. He's had such a profound influence on me as an artist, particularly when I'm in the studio constantly referencing his work! Paul is an absolute pioneer and one of the greatest songwriters in history. He's also a bad ass rock 'n' roll singer. Paul, let me sing with you ... please?!"

Disturbed singer David Draiman: "To share the stage with a legend of Sir Paul McCartney's level is humbling, and intimidating to say the least. To be on a bill with one of the most prolific songwriters of all time? We are thrilled, and honored beyond words."

Bells of Joy singer Julia Cruz Magness: "The Bells of Joy are thrilled to be on the same bill as Paul McCartney. The Bells of Joy started as a group in the 1940s back when the U.S. was segregated. We have one original member left, A.D. Watson, who is 88 years old. He has seen so much in his long life. Sometimes when on the road, the band couldn't buy gas or stay in hotels. The Beatles and some of the other British bands such as the Rolling Stones really helped to bring awareness to American black music and the struggles African-Americans were having. The world is not rid of racism and even in 2018 we have a lot of problems, but music always brings people together. I will be flying in from Memphis early to catch his set."

Greta Van Fleet member Jake Kiszka: "He's someone who has not only been an inspiration for us, but a great deal of the world, so it's an honor to be playing the same bill as Sir Paul McCartney. His work with the Beatles and his solo career have been influential in the sense of writing techniques and studio advancements. We are beyond elated to be able to experience Paul McCartney's show at ACL."

San Holo: "It's crazy and pretty humbling, to be honest. Paul McCartney is a legendary music icon and his music is absolutely timeless. You can still hear his influence in pop music today from his work with the Beatles and more."

Trampled By Turtles bassist Tim Saxhaug: "When I was 15, I saved all summer mowing lawns to buy a Discman. The first CD I listened to on it was 'Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.' It was the first time I noticed what bass did, and where it fit in a band. I immediately went downstairs and told my mom I wanted to play bass. The next day we rented an electric bass, and that's where it started for me. In a way, he sent me on this path I'm on now. Eternally grateful."