John Live Toronto Sept '69

History has shown it was this concert that finally convinced John there was indeed life beyondThe Beatles.

"We got this phone call on a Friday night that there was a rock'n'roll revival show in Toronto with a 100,000 audience, or whatever it was, and that Chuck was going to be there and Jerry Lee and all the great rockers that were still living, and Bo Diddley, and supposedly The Doors were top of the bill. They were inviting us as king and queen to preside over it, not play – but I didn't hear that bit. I said, 'Just give me time to get a band together,' and we went the next morning."
John Lennon, 1969
Anthology

Ritchie Yorke Remembers:

It was a pleasantly warm September afternoon in London circa 1969 when I dropped in at the Apple Corps offices on Saville Row — not knowing that music history was about to unfold.

I'd come in to confirm an interview with George Harrison that had been scheduled after the weekendto discuss the about-to-be-released Abbey Road album. But hearing me chatting in the corridor outside the Bag One offices — I had interviewed him earlier that year in Canada — John Lennon called me in for "some advice." Can you imagine? The honor of being asked by a sage such as John for any kind of advice . . .

Turned out that a Toronto promoter named John Brower was on the phone trying to convince John and Yoko they should attend a September 13 musical event in Canada featuring a host of '50s rock 'n' roll legends. Maybe, suggested the ever-keen and eager Brower, John might even consider a performance piece? I knew Brower and his partner, and I instinctively felt they would try to do right by an inquisitive and frustrated John . . .

On the morning of 13th Sept Klaus Voormann (guitarist), Alan White (drummer), Allen Klein (grub), Mal Evans (godsend) and Lennon's assistant Anthony Fawcett all convened at London Airport, but Lennon, Ono and Eric Clapton (guitarist stealer of Pattie from George) were nowhere to be seen. It transpired Lennon and Ono had elected to stay in bed, and that Clapton was unaware of the plans. (George Harrison turned the gig down)

The guitarist was called by John Brower, who told him: "Eric, you may not remember me, but I'm the promoter who lost $20,000 on your Blind Faith show last month. Please call John Lennon, and tell him he must do this or I will get on a plane, come to his house, and live with him, because I will be ruined."

Brower's plea worked, and Lennon reluctantly agreed to join Clapton. The party left for Toronto on Air Canada flight 124, with Lennon, Ono and Clapton in first class while the rest flew in economy. Only three first-class tickets were available, so the newly formed Plastic Ono Band gathered in therear of the 707 jet, vamping their acoustic way through a cluster of classic rock 'n' roll favorites.

During the flight the Plastic Ono Band eventually convened and assembled a set, although the musicians had trouble hearing their guitars above the noise of the engines.

"Now we didn't know what to play, because we'd never played together before, the band. And on the aeroplane we're running through these oldies, so the rehearsal for the record, which turned into not a bad record, was on the plane, with electric guitars – not even acoustic, you couldn't hear." John Lennon

Songs that the principal players worshipped.

'Blue Suede Shoes'