Finally, salvation came in the form of a lanky blonde boy.

Seth's abrupt entrance stopped my Mum's story of her bake sale bonanza where she mixed up the icing sugar with the flour. Thank the lord. I stood up, thanking him with my eyes, and asked, "What's up?"

He looked extremely excited, almost giddy. Seth glanced at my mum once, who had stood up.

"Seth - what is it?"

"Alec's back."

Everything inside me seemed to become a million times lighter at those two words. Excitement mixed with relief mixed with the sense of nervousness I always had where Alec was involved.

I glanced at my mum once, who seemed nothing but confused and said quickly, "I gotta go."

Before she could respond, I darted out the room with Seth at my heels and raced into the foyer.

I stopped to a halt, ready to ask Seth where he was, until I saw a broad figure pulling a suitcase up the front steps and into the foyer.

He looked up, eyes wide. "Liv?"

"Alec," I said, running to him.

He pulled me into his arms, his embrace warm and safe and everything I'd been missing since the moment he left. Hands circling my waist, his lips met mine passionately, neck craning to match our contrasting heights.

"I missed you," he murmured, pulling back and leaving my skin warm and lips needing more.

I rested my head on his chest and released a breath of relief. "You have no idea how much I'm glad you're back. Seth's been driving me crazy."

I glanced at Seth as he winked and replied, "What she's saying is I know how to make the girls wild."

Alec laughed his perfect, husky laugh, making me realise I'd missed that as well. "Well, I'm back now. His voice lowered as he murmured into my ear, "And if you want, we can get out of here..."

I grinned, biting my lip as I moved my hands in circles around his muscular back.

"Who's this?"

I jerked my hands away from Alec as my mum's words floated towards us from a few meters away, almost giving me a heart attack.

Her eyes were condescending. I didn't like it.

Raising my chin, I spoke confidently, "Mum, this is Alec."

Slowly, she outstretched her hand, to which he shook as reluctantly as she did.

"And how do you two know each other?" she asked, eyes zeroing in on Alec.

Before I could reply, Alec said confidently, "I'm in love with your daughter."

I stopped.

She stopped.

Everyone stopped.

The world stopped.

Then it started again, and my mum cleared her throat as I tried to smile through the embarrassment.

"Is this true?" she asked me, face unreadable.

I nodded, looking at my feet.

Alec took my hand in his, and before it could get anyone weirder, Seth said loudly, "No, I'm in love with your daughter!" It was a joke to do with Spartacus, but did nothing to ease the tension.

"Nice try, buddy," Alec mumbled.

"Listen, Liv, I don't think a boyfriend is what you need right now-"

I interrupted, "No, but I also don't need parents who spend the entire time talking about themselves. And since I'm lucky enough to have one of those, the fact is, I do need Alec."

Everyone stopped to look at me, Seth and Alec holding back laughs.

I grinned at Mum. "See you next Christmas, I'm sure you can show yourself out."

I gripped Alec's hand tighter and led him outside, Seth at our heels.

We were silent for a moment walking behind the school and into the woods. I didn't know where we were going, maybe to do something fun.

Finally, Seth said, "After seeing that, maybe I am in love with you."

I laughed and play-punched his arm.

"Lay a finger on her and I'll run you over with my bike," Alec said from beside me, making me laugh harder.

Seth put up his hands in surrender. "Okay, okay." He glanced around Alec and murmured to me, "Forbidden love. It's hotter that way."

Alec shoved him in the side as he started laughing hysterically. "What are we doing then?" he asked between laughs. "I'm bored."

"Then let's do something fun," Alec said. "First one to the fire pit wins."

Seth darted off as Alec and I slowed to a halt, watching him go. Once he was out of sight, Alec gently pinned me to the closest tree and murmured in my ear, "How long before he notices we're gone?"

"We'll just have to wait and see," I whispered back.

He smirked and kissed me once more.

- e n d -