Can You Lot Keep a Secret?

Start from the beginning

"Dumbledore came to my house and personally delivered it," James replied. Then, with a smirking grin, he added, "Just like we said he would."

Remus snorted in amusement, his eyes sparkling with pride.

Sirius sniffed the badge and held it back to James, "You're telling me that's not a fake?"

"One hundred percent genuine Headboy badge," James nodded.

Sirius stared at it in James's palm again, "And he meant for you to have it? Like he actually said your name in connection with the bestowing? It isn't like it fell out of his pocket and you're assuming."

James shook his head, "Rather, he came, said some very kind things, and he brought along Minnie and the old bird presented me with it."

"Blooo-ddyyy- helll!" Sirius drawled the word out, shaking his head. 

James turned to Remus, "You're not angry with me, are you? I know of the four of us, if it'd been a Gryffindor, we all thought it'd be you--"

"Honestly, I'm bloody relieved it's not," Remus replied, "Prefect was tiring enough. I'm ready to retire from my role in Hogwarts politics, and I'm quite pleased that if anyone was to take on my post that it's someone with some common sense and at least a wee bit of restraint on Sirius."

A grin broke across Sirius's face, "Oh man. The pranks we'll pull, right Prongs? OH! OHHHHH. Filch. Filch will be powerless." His eyes were lit like he was seeing Christmas come early. "Yessss," he whispered.

James flushed, "Well, I don't want to abuse the power it vests in me."

"Abuse the power it vests in me?" Sirius repeated. He looked at Remus with a stupefied expression.

Remus said, "How long you've had that thing? It sounds like it's rubbing off on you already."

James laughed. "Anyway," he said, "That's one of the reasons I don't know if I want to get involved in quidditch this year."

"Please, it isn't quidditch without you," Sirius said, waving his palm at James, "And besides that, technically you're still the Captain aren't you?"

"No, Frank's the Captain."

"Actually," Remus said, "Frank was the temporary Captain while you were out of order. Frank's gone now and you're quite recovered so I reckon that makes you captain again now."

"Surely Dumbledore's chosen someone else by now," James argued.

"Did he collect your Captain badge or your Captain robes?" Remus questioned.

"Well, no," James said.

Sirius's grin widened, "Now why would a not-the-captain person have those things if there was another captain?"

"Because --" James stammered. It suddenly occurred to him that what Remus was saying made sense... "You don't really reckon..."

"I really do, mate," Remus replied. 

Sirius grinned, "Oh this really is going to be a ripe year. Headboy and Quidditch Captain!"

James flushed. "I - I mean -- Merlin's beard,  really am going to be busy, huh?"

"The busiest," Sirius said. "Just remember us when you get all famous and lovely as you are. Especially when you throw in snogging Evans, marauding with the lot of us, and -- I mean, you're going to have to squeeze in a class or two I suppose."

"Reckon so," James laughed, "Seeing as it's school and all."

"So what did Lily say?" Remus asked.