The Virus

(a/n ty guys for 1.8k+ reads on here and for 1k follows on my ig itsbeaconhills! ilyg)

Katherine's Pov.

It's Saturday. Finally, nothing can go too bad on a weekend, right? I sigh, flipping a page of the book I'm reading - The Fault In Our Stars, by John Green. It was pretty good so far but I keep getting interrupted by Amanda.

"Katherine, I'm not even sure of what I am. And now, suddenly I'm on a freaking hit list, and assasins are trying to kill me for money! And Garret, my crush since like the third grade, is dead, okay? I'm- I'm emotionally unstable!" she freaks, and I sigh, sitting up.

"Look, Mandi, I'm really sorry about Garret. But, we'll figure out what you are." i start, scratching the back of my neck nervously. "And, um, Lydia might already know what you are."

Amanda looks shocked and confused. "Well? What is it?" she asks and I shrug. "She said to meet her at her lakehouse. Well, actually she's going to come pick you up."

"What about me?" Savannah asks from the corner of the room. I turn to look at her. "I dunno. But I'm going out later, so I guess you could stay here. Or go home." I suggest as I get up and walk to my closet, picking out clothes I could wear to go out into the woods. I was content- my foot pain had turn into just a small ache, which Deaton said was good. But he also said I need to find an anchor as soon as possible.

He said if I don't, and I get seriously injured, that I could die. Scott assured me that he wouldn't let anyone else die, though, and it was the hope that it was true that kept me going.

"Hey, I think Lydia's here." I say, peeking through my window and seeing her car. Scott then comes into my room.

"Katheriine, i'm goin' to school, see you later." he says, coming over to me and giving me a hug. I hug him back before he smiles and then turns to go. "Also, Lydia's here." he says.

I look over at Amanda who looks anxious.

"You'll be fine." I pat her shoulder and she nods before leaving the house as well. I turn to Savannah, who was getting up to leave also. "I'm going home. I don't want my parents worrying. Call me later?" she says and I nod before she too exits the house.

I change into my new clothes I picked out- which were knee- high boots because i didn't want my cut to get worse. I also wore a hoodie and some shorts. I decided to put my hair up into a ponytail. I grab my bag and head down stairs, grabbing an apple and some water and storing it in my bag.

I then proceed to making some toast and silently eating breakfast. Once I finish, I clean after myself and head outside.

It's a nice day out, which makes me sad realizing that Scott and the others don't get to enjoy it because of school. I start walking toward the Hale house like I always do. I don't like that it's basically ash and dust now, before it was at least something.

I walk around a while before hearing another heartbeat and the soft sound of leaves crunching. I turn to see Liam walking towards me. I frown. "Liam.. what are you doing here?"

"I, um, I followed you." he says as I slowly walk toward him. "You followed me?" I ask him, not sure why he would follow me in the first place.

"Yah, I um wanted to make sure you were okay." he says, looking down at my leg. "I'm fine." i smile at him before walking again. Soon we walk side by side and he matches my pace.

"Where are your friends?" i ask him and he shrugs.

"Scott and the others are at school."

"Yah, okay, well what about Mason?"