➣ Forty Nine

A week later.

Fresh air.

"This is beautiful." Seulgi laughed as she stepped out of the hospital. For the first time in three weeks, she had escaped the confined white walls of the hospital and the artificial AC air.

"It is." Joy giggled, watching Seulgi embrace nature in the hospital parking lot.

"We should go somewhere!" She froze on the spot, a wide grin stretching her cheeks. "What do you guys say?" Her grin turned cheeky and her teeth were blindingly white as she held her arms out to her friends.

"Lemme think." Irene put her finger to her chin and mocked hard thinking.

"C'mon please!" Seulgi was pouting now. She had had a sudden extreme burst of energy this morning as if it was all bundling in her for the last twenty one days until she got out.

"Okay!" Irene laughed, pulling a younger girl beside them. "What do you say Yeri? Wanna go somewhere?"

The younger girl smiled happily, being the newest member to this group, she didn't expect them to accept her so warmly.

"I dunno," she shrugged, "Fro-yo?"

"YES." Seulgi gasped excitedly and clapped. Then she winced. "Oh, owowowowowowow." She placed a hand gently on her side where the broken rib had been. It was quite healed but she still had it wrapped under her loose Adidas tee.

"Okay let's go." The four of them walked happily towards the car. As the final door slammed shut, two rings pierced the silence.

"Oh I gotta take this." Both Joy and Seulgi said at the same time. They laughed, pulling a neon pink phone out of one bag and a matte black one out of another.

Joy stepped out of the car leaving Seulgi and the two girls alone for the call.

"Hi Eonni!" Seulgi laughed happily.

"Seulgi! I'm so glad you're okay. Eomma and I visited a while back but had to go home early. Hope you're having fun today!" Her tone was excited but there was exhaustion lining it.

"I'll have fun." Seulgi replied, pushing a black bang out of her eyes. "You go rest, I can hear that you're tired."

"Love you Gi." She said before sending a quick kiss and hanging up.

Meanwhile,

"Hello?" Joy brought the phone close to her ear, maximising the volume against the roar of multiple engines and the speeding of cars outside.

"Hey Joy."

"Oh hey Jimin." She pushed a strand of hair behind her ear. "What's up?"

"Did she get out okay? Are you guys going somewhere?" His voice sounded worried and concerned and Joy wasn't sure why. Just yesterday they got the news that she was leaving the hospital, but instead of Jimin coming he'd told her to bring Seulgi out.

"She's okay. We're going out for some fro-yo and then I'll send her back to you."

"Um, okay. Don't rush though."

"Wait why-" Before she could finish her sentence, the boy had already hung up, the final beep piercing her ear drum, forcing her to pull the phone away from her ear. "Um, ok?" She mumbled before sliding into the car again.

"Who was it?" Yeri asked from the back.

"Just Jimin. Wondering how you're doing." Joy smiled at her best friend beside her, who's smile had turned from joyful to slight. "You okay?" 

"Huh?" Seulgi blinked rapidly, pulling herself out of her thoughts. Again, a series of memories like snapshots flashed by her at the mention of Jimin.

Sounds.

Sweat.

Tears.

Then she blinked back; Joy was still outside. 

Flashes came again.

Surprise.

Anger.

Fear.

Jimin?

The car door opened, then closed and Joy was beside her again.

And it was Jimin?

"How long are we gonna be?" Seulgi blurted before she could think. 

Oh nonono, now I sound like I'm desperate. But I have a boyfriend so why would they think that, right?

The girls in the car cooed and laughed. "Someone wants to see their boyfriend~" They teased before laughing. But when Joy turned to her, Seulgi wasn't smiling. In fact, she looked horrified.

"What's wrong?" Irene asked, her giggles simmered down.

"That's not funny guys I already have a boyfriend." Seulgi scolded, glaring as hard as she could at each girl, corners of her mouth turned down.

"Um, unless you've managed to find a boyfriend while you were unconscious, then I don't think so." Joy spoke. Then she quickly added, "Are you feeling okay?"

"What? I'm perfectly fine." Seulgi flipped her naturally waved hair behind her shoulders and leaned back into her chair. "I'm with Jungkook. I've been with him since, like, forever. You guys know that."

The girls were silent.

Too silent.

"What?" Seulgi pressed on them and Joy's palm went flying to her forehead and landed there softly, and the taller girl's expression went from jokey to concerned.

"Are you sure you're feeling okay?" She asked again and the other two girls leaned forwards to look at Seulgi. She swatted the hand away.

"I'm fine." She grumbled. "Let's go get some fro-yo."

"Hmm..." Joy trailed off, thinking. And Seulgi knew that sound.

"No... Nonononono Joy please." She begged, pouting. 

"I don't know. You look perfectly fine, but..."

"But what? I am fine! So let's just go get some yogurt!" Seulgi grabbed onto Joy's arm, pleading for her life.

The girl just wanted some yogurt.

Was it too much to ask?

"Please, I'm the one who was in hospital for like, three weeks. I want yogurt!" She begged, shaking Joy's entire body now, hoping she'd fall into submission.

"Seulgi!" She half-shouted, yanking her arm out and grabbing both of the girls's wrists. "Listen, you need to hear this from the guys and not us. I'm bringing you back to your apartment. No protesting."

"Bu-"

"No buts." Joy said, releasing the strong hold on her wrists. A flash of a memory came again. Except it was just one.

Jimin, door, wrists, pain,

fear.

"...Seulgi?" Joy's hands were on her face now, Seulgi's vision blurry. She blinked rapidly and found her sight again. "What happened?"

"I-I don't know. What happened?" 

"Joy let go of your hands and you collapsed into your seat. And your eyes were open." Yeri said. It was the most serious any of the girls had ever heard her before. They sat in a tense silence before Joy spoke quietly.

"We're getting the guys."

||

;(

im sorryyyy im so late ik i dont mean to im just struggling with life rn

but here's a chapter :)

thx for reading !!

xxRa