CHAPTER 20

Elaine looked back to the dead body on the concrete, blood pooling out of the gunshot wound.

Elaine couldn't believe her eyes.

"Are you alright?" Asked Johnathan, Elaine nodded her head in reply, she was unable to speak for she was sure if she did, she would lose conciousness.

Johnathan looked at her wearily catching his breath.

"We should get going" he said as he brought the horse to a canter he knew this time to watch out.

Thirty minutes passed, Johnathan and Elaine arrived in the small town of San Polo.

It was as if minutes ago they weren't almost killed and gotten chased by a band of terrorists with green veins and yellow colored eyes.

They didn't talk to each other, they simply let the silence flow between them, when they reached a neighborhood.

They passed a series of lovely shops where beautiful dresses are displayed on the shop windows and bakeries with the smell of freshly baked bread and roasted coffee wavering in the air. Then they remembered they hadn't eaten anything.

"The faster we get to Sergio Bianchi the more safer we are from those men" said Johnathan.

"What happened to those men, why did he turn to dust? " Asked Elaine,

 "The chemical substance in their body is eating them alive. They think it's making them stronger, when it's really killing them slowly" said Johnathan his fists clenched.

His words made her tremble in fear.

They passed through a long series of houses until Elaine finally caught sight of her guardian's house.

It was a mustard yellow color with a dark oak wood door. It was a mansion, and a pathway was carved from the white picket fence that led to the front door, and a trimmed grass  along with some hedges and trimmed rose bushes.

"I sure hope we can trust this guy" said Johnathan scanning the house. 

"You can. He took care of me" said Elaine as she went down the horse.

Johnathan followed after her scanning the neighborhood for anything suspicious.

Elaine knocked against the oakwood door. It was silent on the other side. Too silent in fact.

"Is someone home?" Asked Johnathan,

"I'm not sure" replied Elaine banging the knocker against the door,

"Sergio?" Called Elaine, but there was no reply,

"It's me Elaine. I'm back from Switzerland. " she said.

It was quiet, but then they both heard footsteps approaching the door and the bolt twisted and the door creaked open.

A man stood behind it. He had a square shaped face, and pink cheeks, his skin was shiny and he had olive brown eyes. He wore round shaped glasses and had wispy, thick, straight cocoa brown hair.

He looked about in his mid forties, a good and nice looking man. Johnathan thought. He seems to be a guy capable of looking after Elaine.

"Elaine?" The man asked confused, having a tainted Italian accent.

"Sergio, it's me" greeted Elaine with a smile as she pulled him in for a deep hug.

Sergio patted Elaine gently on the back and pulled away to get a good look at her.

"You have changed since the last couple of weeks" he said.

"My stay in Rosa Blanca wasn't long. It was mostly the travelling time" said Elaine,