CHAPTER 6

The halls were long and tremendous like an endless river. Rushing down the stairs, Elaine stumbled upon Barry. He was clad in his thick fur coat giving her a questioning gaze.

"Sorry Barry," said Elaine apologetically.

"it's fine. Why are running around?" he asked raising his left brow.

"I'm just going out for a short walk," said Elaine.

"It's cold out, wear a coat," said Barry, before Elaine slipped past him.

"Thanks," she said, as she walked away.

She took a coat on a coat rack and stepped outside the house.

The wet stone pavement glittered like silver. The ground was moist as water droplets slid from the petals to the flower leaves. Barry must've just water the garden, she thought.

Elaine walked around enjoying the familiar view. The city streets were st empty and mysterious. Colorful fields of flowers were blooming brightly, proud of their beauty.

Elaine sometimes wished she could be like a flower. Proud of her own beauty and not ashamed to express what she feels.

But she was just a scared, timid girl that has always been excluded. Secrets were always kept from her and hidden away.

That made her want to hide. To not express her real emotions and feelings. That made her want to hide her face and seek comfort in herself. To lean on her own shoulder.

She may be just all that but she fought her trials and stayed strong. All she really needed was someone, to be honest with her. She needed somebody to lean on other than herself.

she sat on a bench lost in her own thoughts, thinking about the possibilities of things to change in her life if she did find the answers to her undecipherable dilemna.

The sound of a halting carriage caught her attention. She rushed out of the garden walls and saw Johnathan step out of a chaise. Two men in black coats following after him.

"Gentlemen," greeted Johnathan.

"I understand what you're saying Mr. Lecroix, I am grateful." one of the the men said.

"Thank you, Rupert," said Johnathan.

Barry walked down the steps of the house carrying a large brown box.

"I told you. I can be trusted," said Johnathan to the men.

"I always believed you," said the other man glaring at his companion.

"You didn't believe him earlier." said Rupert.

"It's okay. Mr. Markley, trusted his gut," said Johnathan.

"Indeed I do," said Mr. Markley.

"Well. Here is our side of the bargain," said Mr. Rupert as he handed Johnathan a small red pouch made of velvet.

Johnathan took the pouch and looked inside it. "Thank you, gentlemen," he said.

"Thank you as well" said Mr, Rupert, as he gave a firm nod before taking the box from Barry. They entered the carriage and headed off.

Johnathan watched the Carriage to be out of sight before he turned towards Elaine, "I see you're enjoying the show," he said as he approached her.

Elaine was surprised. he had caught her eavesdropping.

"I saw your reflection from the mirror of the carriage," he said proudly.

"I'm sorry. I was just walking around and then I saw you. I thought it better not to interrupt," she said wondering about what was inside the brown box and the velvet pouch.