Chapter 14

I was on my hands and knees, coughing on air. My body was so tired. I couldn't stop panting. My wooden stick was just inches away from me, and I couldn't muster the energy to grab it. Hours have passed – hours! I've been training nonstop just to take my mind away from Sin and Valarie. Kouha had told me that I need immense training in order to get a better grip on my household vessel. My hands were taped but blood still showed.

"You need a break, Hera." I shook my head, and stood on my feet.

"I can keep going." I explained, but one of the Kou guards,Chojin, wanted to protest. He knew how bad I wanted to train, and through Kouen's orders — he will make me a competent warrior.

"You're not bad," He says, his dark short hair looked drenched in sweat. His black robe looked darker from the stains. "You have a lot of stamina."

"Stamina...?"

"The energy to keep going both mentally," he pointed to his mind. "And physically. You need to work on your precision and speed."

I picked up my stick and stared at it. It was something I had seen some of the other guards using during training, a sword made of sturdy (yet painful) wood. I can feel the cuts on skin as I wrap my hands tightly around my sword. I focused on Chojin's breathing, and watched his posture. He was going for a horizontal swing at my side, but I had blocked him with my sword. I had side stepped him,yet he still kept going —  his sword going for my other side , but I had blocked him again.

"Very good." He praised. Before sweeping me off my feet, and knocking me into the ground. I had rolled out of the way and tripped him with my sword. He grunted while hitting the ground, yet I moved fasted to disarm him before pointing my sword at his head.

There was clapping.  Not just from Chojin, but from Kouha. I didn't know he was present.  He was walking with his three advisers through the courtyard, and just so happened to be standing there watching me. My heart was non-stop. Like a drum from the festival,and my blood was rushing. Was this what it was like in battle? To feel so excited at the rush of things?

"You fought beautifully,Hera." Kouha complimented. I bowed my head and waved. A smile was now spreading over my face as he was walking over to us. "I'm glad you chose Chojin as your partner. "

"I'm honored that he had taken me on  request."

Chojin was smiling now, but he had rubbed the back of his neck. "I enjoyed this lesson as well,Lady Hera. To think you are a good student for someone who hasn't had much fighting experience."

"Esra is with En right now." My eyes locked with Kouha, and he shrugs. Not caring about went my daughter was not with him when she was supposed to be. "He was the first person she saw. I do believe he escourted her to the garden with Kougyoku."

"So she is safe?" I ask. Kouha nods.

"Kouen would never harm a child, especially not as sweet as Esra. Plus he—

"So that's where you have been!" I looked up and saw Sinbad standing by the balcony. His hands on the rails as he watched me. " I saw Esra with the Kou Princess and had assumed you were in the library."

I rolled my eyes, and ran my fingers through my hair. Pulling whatever left it pieces back. "I'm sorry, am I interrupting you from your private meeting with Valarie? Or was it with Ja'far?"

"You actually woke me up from a nap." He answered. Crossing his arms and small smirk was on his face. "And I'm gonna have to use you to put me back to sleep."

I shook my head and crossed my arms. "No thanks."

"Your posture need work. You're too tense." Sinbad calls out. "The smoother you are, the more control you have in the fight. "