Chapter 10

"Papa, " I heard Esra call out. "I found mama! She was asleep!"

I was waking up to the pain in my neck and my legs feeling heavy from being curled up for so long. Esra was wearing a beautiful purple gown with a golden belt around her waist. Her face looked so happy and energetic, maybe because she was with Sinbad all night— and she didn't have need of me. I was starting to see that more and more now, how close Esra is with her father. It made me happy, even if she doesn't want to be with me as much. Even when she is always in Sinbad's room watching him work — I'm happy.

"Why didn't you sleep in your room?" He asks. "It would be a lot easier to look for you."

I shook my head and stood up. Taking my time and walking off  to find the shelf that I had taken this book from and return it. He was following me , and Esra following him. He had taken the book from my hands and took a look the cover.

" I don't recall buying this book. Maybe it was a gift from a different country." He says. I gave a subtle nod and walked away. Esra was sitting at a table kicking her feet against the chair.  Sinbad had wrapped his arms around my waist and rested his head on my shoulder.

"What's wrong?" He asks. His voice purring in my ear. "You're not talking anymore."

I shook my head, before sliding out of his arms and walking to the door.

"I'm assuming Valarie has gotten under your skin last night,which was why you decided to seek Kouen out and have your walk with him." He calls out. I looked over my shoulder at him — before turning around and walking out of the door.

Valarie was her name.

Valarie.

Valarie.

I huffed under my breath and went to my room.  Only to find my room a mess; sheets scrambled on the bed, wine spilled on the floor, a nasty stench on the floor, and papers everywhere. Sinbad was in here,I there was still his turban and fancy jewelry. My heart sunk when I held up the beautiful brochure that was sitting on the dresser: two swords crossing another and a beautiful flower in the middle. I remember seeing Valarie wearing it.

"Hera..." I turned around and saw Anna standing by the doorway. I wiped my face and sat down in the chair nearby.  "I saw Sinbad and a woman together last night...is..—"

"No." Was all I could say. When will the lies end? When will he finally be honest with me? He told me he was to be more honest and hard working with me, and yet— Here I am seeing traces of him and his love here. A love I have not received. "I..I just don't know what to do anymore..."

Anna stepped closer to me and wiped my tears. "He's taking everything from me," I explained. "Even Esra loves him more than she loves me."

"That's not true. She loves you just as much." Anna says. Her hands brushing my hair and fixing my face. "You are a great mother, the gods have seen this. You just deserve someone who truly desires you and only you."

" I'm his concubine and his general ," I explained. "He can fuck as many women as he wants, and I can't do anything about it."

"Perhaps," She says while picking up the beautiful jewelry on the bed. "You should learn how to take back from him. "

I slowly nod to myself and looked out the window. To the courtyard , where I can see beautiful red eyes staring up at me. I was blushing, and held up my hand in a shy wave. My heart jumped when he waved back.

"He has become less stern since he's arrived." Anna whispers in my ear. "Did you do something to him while you two walked around the streets?"

I didn't want to bring up Sinbad and Kouen's encounter, nor did i go speak to Sin. He seemed much calmer now.