Kitten

Several hours passed before Batman awoke, in the wee hours of the morning.

"'morning kitten," purred a familiar voice.

"Ughhh... Catwoman?" Bruce groaned.

"Please, call me Selina. It's just the two of us... Bruce," Selina pet his head, sitting in a chair beside the bed.

"H-how long have I been out?" his voice was noticeably weaker than normal.

"Only a couple hours, go back to sleep."

"G-Gotham..."

"Is fine. Robin, Batgirl, and even Nightwing are patrolling the city as we speak. You don't have to worry. Now sleep."

Bruce muttered something obstinate under his breath.

"What was that? Don't make me short-sheet you so you can't get up," she giggled playfully. Then she ran her hand down his face seductively.

"Selina... I'm not in the mood..."

She frowned, "Sorry... I know, you're sick."

Bruce laid there silently for a few minutes.

Selina finally spoke up, "I'm sorry, I can't leave you alone. I'm under specific orders to watch you and make sure you don't get up."

"It doesn't matter now anyway... my dignity's already been tarnished."

"See, it's talk like that that doesn't help. Why are you so stubborn about accepting help anyway? Is it really so bad to be taken care of by others?"

"It is."

"Why?"

Bruce grumbled, "You wouldn't understand."

"Try me."

"If your enemies see you weak, they won't take you as seriously, and then they'll think they can walk all over you."

"But, we're not your enemies."

He was stumped by this remark.

Selina continued, "I think you're just not used to others taking care of you, and that's why you hate it. But you need to relax! All this scowling and always being tense isn't good for you!"

"I'll relax when I'm dead," Bruce turned away from her.

"Keep talking like that, and you will be," Selina put her hand gently on his shoulder, "Please, Bruce... for me? For Alfred, Superman, Wonder Woman... please... just relax."

Bruce grumbled.

"Bruce... please, don't push the people who care about you away... or you'll wind up alone. Now, get some rest."

Bruce sighed, resigning, "Fine... but only because Robin and the others are taking care of Gotham for me," he closed his eyes, falling back asleep.

Selina smiled, then let out a sigh of relief and relaxed herself. Bruce could be so tiring sometimes!