Ch.8

Arriving at the very giant gates of the city, the whole crew took immediate notice to the difference. The fixed wooden gates, slightly cleaner area, and it smelt a little cleaner as well. A welcome banner hung from the entrance.

“Welcome to Vardaros.”

The sense of law hung in the air. No joke, you could tell when there's authority, especially the difference between good authority and bad authority. This particular one was good. That meant The Baron must not be here. Let's hope he isn't or else you'd start something with him.

“Half of you split to get supplies that Lady Caine stole, the others get whatever is on Varian’s list.” You wave a hand to dismiss your crew.

This place has changed yet again, in a somewhat right direction.

You take a deep breath and let it out, holding your hands behind you head. You alone and you notice the statue of Captain Quaid the Blade which was cleaned. “Sheriff’s back in town.”

“Was he gone or something?”

You jump back and hold your hand to your chest, “Damn it, Raccoon Boy! I thought you went to get your stuff.” You narrow your eyes when Varian smirks at you. “What the hell are you smirking at?”

“Nothing.” He walks off to a shop nearby.

You roll your eyes and continue on your stroll. There were brawls here and there, but nothing you weren't use to.

“What are you doing here?”

Without turning around, you knew that snarky voice from anywhere and smirk. “Vexy!” You turn on your heels and place a hand on your hip. “Ooooh! I see you've got a little gem there.” You flick the golden badge pinned to her vest.

The young teen with black braids just glares at you, clearly not trusting you. “It's VEX, not Vexy and I would stop messing with a deputy.”

You burst out laughing and wipe a tear from your eye, “Oh, Pigtails. You make me to laugh. The day Little Miss Con Artist is working with the law.”

Vex rolls her eyes, “Whatever, now answer the question. You better not be causing mayhem here.”

“Oh NO.” You said sarcastically. “Everything was just splendid, until you showed up.” You sneer.

“You dirtbag!” She growls.

“Clod!” You retort.

You two were in each others faces until someone pushed you two away, getting between you. “Alright, Young Ladies.”

“Hardly a lady.” You huff.

“I could say the same thing for you.” Vex says back.

Finally, you glance at the tall dark skin man who is holding you two back and you straighten up. The golden badge with a ship embedded into it glimmered in the light.

Captain Quaid.

Of course it had to be him to break up something like this.

“What's going on?”

The three of you turn to see Varian approach with his bag full of some things he got from the shop nearby.

Quaid hums, “Do you know this young lady?”

Varian looks at you, “She's hardly a lady, but she's more of an acquaintance that I travel with.”

“Yeah because she's a pirate.” Vex tsks.

“So what? I wasn't doing anything, but enjoying a bit of peace.”

“Vex, steady.” Quaid warns and she scoffs while turning away. He turns to you, “Alright-”